Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trig

trig Senior member

or since the length is okay, you could try 9.5E

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

While I agree that Cordovan doens't really stretch like calfskin, the shoes do break-in to a degree and assume the shape of your foot. They are expected to be a little uncomfortable at first. Once the break-in they should be a good fit. Better than starting out with them a little roomy and ending up with a sloppy fit.

So its tight on your pinky toe? Sounds like its only slightly, if its justone foot. If this is the case, I would keep em.

Let's see what others say...

3. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Very tough to diagnose fit over the internet. Cordovan is funny in terms of break-in. It doesn't stretch, but it does soften, and as someone else said the corkbed will form to your foot somewhat, all of which creates the impression of the cordovan having stretched. But it's inconsistent across shoes. I own LHS in both #8 and Ravello, both in 10.5D. Both felt equally tight out of the box. The #8's loosened up and are perfectly comfortable with "normal" socks. The Ravello's remain very tight, and are uncomfortable except with the thinnest of socks.

My experience has been to err on the side of slightly snug rather than slightly roomy. Other than the Ravello LHS, every cordovan shoe where I erred on the snug side broke in to feel about right. Every cordovan shoe where I erred on the roomy side broke in to feel quite loose, though a cheap, thin insole has usually fixed the problem (and frankly made them much more comfortable, to the point where I'm considering sizing for insoles going forward... though that is another story).

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Well, after wearing them for a while without walking in them the right boot was making my arch ache. Is that more than snug? The other one was what I'd consider snug, i.e. I could feel it pressing on the outside of my foot, but it wasn't painful even after 30 minutes.

5. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

^ If you're posting in a forum about the shoe possibly being too tight, it probably is. That's been my experience, at least. I'd size up to 10, or see if you can get a 9.5E. But be careful about sizing up width-wise, b/c the heel then starts getting loose. Few things worse than trying to fight tight cordovan. Your feet usually end up losing that battle.

6. DCRoyal

DCRoyal Active Member

My first post! Long time lurker, you all have taught me quite a bit about shoes/aldens/cordovan etc.

One thing to consider, in my experience, if you get too loose of a fit you risk potentially awkward creasing. I have a bit of a different fit on each foot, and while the cordovan itself hasnt stretched, my foot settling into the cork has mitigated any initial tightness issues. The one pair I did size up on, I ended up regretting because the creasing looks sloppy.

7. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

DCRoyal, welcome to the Forum!

[​IMG]

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

yeah that doesn't sound good. if you can still return em, i would try the next size up.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Grendel, If you are having arch issues I would consider getting a different last size. Regarding the stretchabiliy of cordovan, it wont stretch much but it will soften up. Also, the leather around the outsole seams will loosen up and contour to your feet. This has been my experience with the Grant last specifically

10. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

If your arch was aching that's not good. Do you have a particularly high instep? Does your arch ache much when walking around for a while even in perfectly comfortable shoes?

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

No, I have somewhat flat feet and I don't usually have any problem at all.

12. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Then sadly I can no longer be of assistance... hopefully someone else with similar feet can provide a better diagnosis.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

If you've never had this problem with other shoes (or other Alden shells in particular), I would suggest it may have nothing to do with size per se; rather, the shoes/boots themselves - while the same listed size - are ever-so-slightly different. Such is sometimes the nature of handmade shoes. Quite some time ago I purchased a pair of new ravello shell PTBs in 9D (I have numerous Barrie-lasted shells in 9D). One shoe fit great; the other snug. An exchange was impossible as ravello ptb's are damn near never available in 9D - and I had gotten the last pair. After applying some pre-stretch spray, I used a shoe stretcher and kept it in as suggested - 24 hours. Problem solved. Over the years I have had to do this a handful of times (shell and calf, but admittedly only shoes, not boots). 100% success rate. :nodding:

14. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

grendel: does the widest part of your foot match up with the widest part of the shoe? in the allen edmonds thread, someone posted a thing about the brannock device, saying that the shoe needs to work for you in overall (back of heel to end of toes) length, but also in heel to ball length. if the ball of your foot is in the wrong part of the shoe, the shoe will be flexing at the wrong point relative to your foot. that might be causing the discomfort in your arch.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Well, I know my feet are slightly different sizes. One is slightly wider, the other slightly longer. I think I'm just gonna give the 10D's a shot and see how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.