1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

2. Gcbrown3

Gcbrown3 Well-Known Member

The shoes that were returned to Alden of Carmel were pristine. No crease, no nothing,

3. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I would agree with you two if what he wanted was a refund he just wants a different size and if does that now he has to pay by money order .

4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I just checked shoemart they have some left in some sizes might just luck out

5. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

only explanation is that adam of AoC doesn't want the dude to have his shoes for his trip [​IMG]

6. Gcbrown3

Gcbrown3 Well-Known Member

OK

-----Original To: Adam Knott Subject: On their way
    The LWB CIGAR 9D are on their way.

Should be there in a couple days.
    Please hold the 8.5.

Thank you.

it was clear that they wouldn't be here in time. I just wanted an exchange period. Not an exchange in a timely fashion.

7. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

After the first pair that point of view shifts a bit

8. phototristan

When you start looking at high-end shoes, you will realize that Aldens are a bargain compared to many. Example - some John Lobb (not even shell cordovan) shoes go for $1,500.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

the higher end john lobbs like the phillip start at $1,500. normal lobbs are $1,100.

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I always get confused about these "family photos" when people have the money to afford all the shoes pictured, but not $12 shoe-trees for every pair.

11. fxthea

fxthea Member

Got these Alden 403s from The Shoe Mart about 3-4 weeks ago and the heel is half broken off when a door slammed into the back of the heel. I believe I can send them back to the Shoe Mart for free repair or replacement, but I don't mind paying some cash if I can just take it to a local cobbler to fix and not have these out of the rotation for 2-4 weeks. Are Alden heels specialized in any way where it would be best to send back to the Shoe Mart or any local cobbler can fix? Any idea how much I might be charged at a local cobbler? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Forgive me, but I fail to understand what you're trying to say.

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

He does not purchase shoes for less than $750.

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I have dealt with Adam from AoC before. He was one of the least accommodating retailers I have dealt with. I chose to spend my money elsewhere. YMMV.

15. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Thats the most flawed logic ever.

"My $400 dinner last night was a bargain since it would have cost me $1200 at a michellin star restaurant"

1 person likes this.
  16. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

I was at an Alden retailer this weekend and was told: in the coming months, Alden will not allow any web sales of its shoes. Apparently Alden has told retailers that they must remove Alden shoes from online shops. I was told this is due to the lack of shell available for production at the moment. I did not ask any questions, just listened. I would have asked: all Alden or just cordovan, how can they do that, why does it matter how retailers are selling the shoes? I can see that public sentiment would be lowered if no shoes are ever available (always being 'sold out' online); therefore, removing them from online shopping would not make the public think the company has a lack of production capacity or ability. Anyway, I am not verifying his statement as accurate, simply reporting what he told me. Anyone hear anything similar lately?

17. phototristan

I tend to agree.

I once inquired about a pair of Alden's and he made this very clear to me in his email (quoting):

"Please note that these shoes are sold on an "exchange only" basis. The shoes may be exchanged as long as they are kept in perfectly new, "un-creased" condition, with no signs of try-on. (no creases in the shoes from bending the shoes, no creases in the shoes from walking in the shoes) No refunds or store credits.

If you have any questions please e-mail.

Adam, Alden of Carmel"

I decided to forego purchasing.

That said, I've also had a less than positive experience with Yenni at J Gilbert in Seattle, but at least she was a bit polite. This is what she emailed to me after I inquired about time-frame for a special makeup wait period:

"We do pre-orders daily. Some pre-orders can take 1-2 years to arrive. There
    is no guarantee with delivery dates. If you feel uneasy about doing a
    pre-order please don't feel obligated.

Thank you,

Yenni"

In other words, sorta like 'don't order from us if you don't like it.'. She had a point though. I wasn't willing to wait 1-2 years for a MTO shoe. Some may be.

18. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

If this is true, I may move away from Alden altogether. Their policies for American consumers are ludicrously stringent as-is. First MTO died. Then their production times tripled (if not more at this point).

Oh well.

19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I love the "no signs of try on." OK, no problem, Adam - I'll just eyeball the shoes to see if they fit properly or not. :uhoh:

20. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

(dbl)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.