***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yes. I went down .5 size when I lost about 70 lbs 3 or so years back.

2. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

I know women's feet often change sizes with pregnancy, so I'm not surprised it can happen to dudes who gain or lose a lot of weight. My secretary went up a shoe size with her last pregnancy, and suddenly found herself unable to wear a good chunk of her fabulous size 6 shoe wardrobe. My wife is a 6, so she was the lucky recipient of about $10,000 worth of barely worn Louboutin, Fendi, and Chanel shoes.

Moral of the story: be nice to your secretary and compliment her style. Her husband may be a lot richer than you, and the local consignment shop's loss may be your wife's gain.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Pregnant women frequently can't fit their shoes bc of water retention, not so much the weight gain. After your secretary has her baby she will most likely be able to fit her nice shoes again, even if she can't lose all of the weight gained from the pregnancy.

4. kippy

kippy Senior member

I lost about 50 pounds a few years back and my shoe size went down half of a size.

5. chanakit

chanakit Well-Known Member

Hi i have a question

My Alden shoes are size 8D. so i have to buy Shoes tree in size S or M.

6. pikachoo

pikachoo Senior member

S: 6W-8M

M: 8W-10M

L: 10W-12M

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Get a medium. If you are in between size go up. Otherwise your trees may be useless. Too often I see alden with trees in them and yet they are still wrinkly. The tree should fill out the vamp and toe

8. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ Morgan, what drew you to this particular makeup. It's rather unusual

10. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

Namor, my sand suede chukkas on the Leydon last with a single oiled leather sole are great, but they seem a little dainty sometimes, especially with heavy denim and sweaters. I wanted a chunkier look in a darker color, and I find the crepe sole really, really comfortable.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Suede chukka boots on crepe are a pretty common makeup (Church's makes one, for example)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Agreed - and I suspect the owner, if using Alden trees, went by the Alden size recommendations (and why wouldn't you, right).

Sometimes I wonder if Alden shouldn't tweak their recommendations on tree sizing. For example, 9.5D and up, IMO, can easily go with a large.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

yeah, seems like it's always better to go up with the trees, especially on Barrie and Trubalance. I have a pair of 403's in a 12C, so technically I should use a size Large shoe tree, since it's a narrow size 12. But, I find the XL works much better for my shoes.

14. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Guys, looking for strategic advice. I've just ordered a cigar LWB from Alden SF. If I need something just a bit dressier (and by that I don't even mean a suit, just some trousers and an OCBD), will a #8 PTB stand up to the task? My reasoning is that it's good to have something in #8, and also in a different style. I only have a natural chromexcel LWB, and I don't plan on having 10+ pairs. Ok, I know what you're thinking [​IMG], but I really don't. So I need maximum coverage with minimum pairs.

Also, is there such thing as a #8 PTB on a commando sole? EDIT: of course, I went to Alden of Carmel for that, but they only seem to have it in black.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Got it. I see where you are coming from. Unlined suede / flex is great in the summer with lightweight chino. Looking forward to fit pics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.