1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I would splurge for some Saphir Neutral - either cordovan cream (preferred), or wax. Either can be had at Hangar Project. No color change should occur.

2. Don L

Don L Senior member

My feeling is to only use Sapphire Reno and leave any pigment cream use to way down the road when Reno alone, does not give the desired result, and to be honest, that is a trigger to me to send them to Alden for restoration..

Shell needs to be able to age gracefully and the variation and patina is part of the charm

There is also the issue that too much wax in the creases will have a negative effect on Cordovan.

3. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

this. always saphir neutral cordovan for me. on cigar, color 8, ravello. doesn't matter. only cordovan color i use a pigmented creme on is black.

1 person likes this.
  4. tmw

tmw Senior member

5. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Thanks man, you're going to love them. I was on the fence about the brogued cap toe but after consulting the fine gentlemen on this board I decided to get out of my comfort zone a bit. Glad I did because I really like them and have warmed up to the brogueing. They're super versatile. I usually wear them with jeans but they're my go-to whenever I'm in herringbone. This is my first single-soled Alden and I can feel the difference after walking in the city all day, but not enough to cause any kind of pain. The flat 270 welt is what sold me. It's a nice change of pace from the rest of my modest collection which consists mostly of longwings on double leather.

Enjoy them and post pictures!

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Ive found that wax polish adds very little color especially in the small amounts that I use with shell.

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I dunno, the pamplet that comes with Alden shell cordovans states this:

"Do not use a neutral color polish as it will leave a white film as you wear your cordovan shoes."

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. tmw

tmw Senior member

NOT for sale:

I'm looking to swap a much coveted Leather Soul make-up. Alden Cigar Shell WT boots on Plaza last size 8..Looking too trade for same in size 8.5. I'm hoping that maybe one of the LS guys will see this and perhaps recall a customer whose size 8.5's are a bit too big....

Pics and ad posted in buy and sell

9. imolazhp_ci

not true. many people in this thread endorse neutral. and that goes more for wax. alden also says never to use a creme polish on shell and i'd argue more than 50% of the people in this thread use reno, which is a creme cleaner/polish.

10. phototristan

Saphir Renovateur is certainly not a polish. It's a conditioner.

Anything neutral, with wax would have the potential of leaving a white film after it dries/mixes in and cream polishes do have some wax. Not as much as a paste wax polish though, granted.

I rather listen to Alden.

11. imolazhp_ci

it's a cleaner/conditioner, which is technically worse because it has turpentine in it, and while the amounts are trace, turpentine is what alden wants you to avoid on shell.

12. Don L

Don L Senior member

Which is why you should use it sparingly. Wiping with a damp cloth and brushing should be the go to remedy for shell

13. imolazhp_ci

exactly which further reinforces my point that just because alden says something is wrong, doesn't mean it's wrong.

14. phototristan

You seem to be confused. Nowhere does Alden say Saphir Reno on shells is wrong. They say a neutral polish is. The two are not the same.

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I have Reno, Alden/Kiwi paste wax and Alden cordovan cream... Depending on the situation I will just use one, or use them in some combo. I think the rule to use color sparingly is good but sometimes cordovan could use a good paste wax or cream application. My cigar boots look the best after a light application of Alden's brown wax. The most important step is to brush and buff regularly regardless of what you use

1 person likes this.
  17. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

What he said! +1

18. phototristan

Today, my BB Alden PTBs, Black Shell, before treatment of some Venetian:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

ravello day tripper x leffot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to decide between the daytripper and ravello wtb. I chose these because: 1. already have the ravello lwb, and 2. the grant last is easier for me to dress up.

4 people like this.
  20. Broark

Broark Senior member

Wow, those are some great looking boots. Wear in good health sir.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.