1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpina

Alpina Well-Known Member

Once one gets around to a recrafting, will Alden replace a single leather sole with double?

Go Yankees!

2. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Well-Known Member

alden will now only replace with the original soles. this wasn't always the case.

3. Alpina

Alpina Well-Known Member

Yet another reason to go with B Nelson. It's too bad they don't have the waterloc soles, but in the long run, I think the JR oak soles are superior on durability and comfort.

4. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

My AE Leeds come with JR soles. I haven't found them to be more durable than the soles on my 975 or Officer Indy.

As for comfort, I think the variable is what's beneath the leather insole. My double-soled AEs and Aldens are much more comfortable than my double-soled Florsheims (made in India). I attribute that to the cork underlayer used by AE and Alden ... I have no idea what Florsheim uses, but I do not find their footbeds do not mold to one's foot.

5. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

Anyone know how The Shoe Mart's website works? It seems like every pair of Alden's shows some note about you have to call them to see if they actually have it. Is there a way to tell if it's actually in stock on their website?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

If the size you're looking for is in stock, it should let you add it to your cart and check out online. If you keep getting the message about calling the store, it most likely means that the sizes you're looking for are out of stock.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

BNelson has had waterloc soles for the last 6 months or so.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

WT

9. hefner

hefner Well-Known Member

I agree. I have both and greatly prefer the wingtip boot. It is a more substantial, rich-looking and interesting boot.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

The message, as I understand it, means TSM doesn't have it at TSM (in stock), but may be able to readily get it from the factory (and most likely with direct shipment from the factory). And they contact the factory after you call to inquire. If the site doesn't allow you to add it to your cart, and you get no message, it means that TSM does not have it, and that TSM cannot readily get it from the factory.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Leffot has the black alpine longwings on crepe up for preorder... I've debated this shoe for a few years now, but now that I can get it in E I may order... It's one of their more popular makeups and seems like it would be a great shoe for casual fall/winter wear whenever you have anything black on (black sweater, outerwear, etc)

12. phototristan

Thanks.

13. phototristan

Question - does an Alden commando sole wear faster than the stock Neoprene sole on an Indy boot?

14. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

On the Ravello discussion:

Personally, I love WT Boots. However, I also love captoes.

Because you can achieve the WT look with Ravello LWBs, I would keep the Captoe day trippers since I don't remember seeing a clean plain toe shoe in Ravello (Perhaps one is out there??)

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

This would be my exact same reply

You can get a clean plain toe look via ravello PTBs or chukkas, but I find Alden's captoe boots to be a of a sleeker look (particularly on the grant last, which the day trippers are). IMO the captoe boot on the grant last is one of Alden's best makeups (looks great in black, color 8, ravello, cigar, etc0

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  16. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I have issues with ordering from them. The tedious process of clicking on every shoe only tl be denied over and over again. It's like asking out every girl in high school and being turned down. Simply advertise what you have in stock. There now I feel better

17. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I saw those and really like them. I would be ordering them but I just got a very similar custom makeup from Tricker's last fall. I also like the fact that Leffot seems to be ordering more Alden in E widths (and allowing for it more often in their pre-orders).

18. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Well-Known Member

WTB from TSM. I hope to own it eventually, but its one of the best looking makeups Alden offers imho.

19. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Well-Known Member

Agreed love captoes particularly in ravello.

20. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Well-Known Member

in my experience. the alden commando sole is VERY soft. i woke my indy's every day for 1 week on a cross country road trip and the heels already started to curve upward. went to be nelson and had heel taps hammered on. seems ridiculous on commando sole boots. but man, these are soft soles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.