1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Argentino - haven't been interested in Color 8 previously, but this pic may change my mind! Great looking boots.

2. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Isn't the Leffot Atom a SWB? Similar to yours, my Marlow shortwings are a dark rich brown and nowhere close to ravello.

3. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

That's exactly why I come to this thread. There are people here who have actually walked a mile in the shoes that I'm interested in.

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

You're rockin' it, Argentino! I love the worn-in look of the #8's. Don't tell me those are the 702's with faded hems?

1 person likes this.
  5. stevent

stevent Senior member

If you order from carmina directly or skoaktiebolaget.se your price is about $550-$700

6. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

I appreciate you sharing your experience(s) with the BB boot. I'm quite fond of both, but its the little things that I'm debating in my head atm. Eyelets vs none, reverse welt vs none, the shape of the toebox is slightly similar since the Plaza last is a bit narrower than other common Alden lasts. Maybe I'll deliberate till I change my mind completely.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

They look more like Epaulet navy rivet chinos to me but hard to tell given the camera edits

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much? Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber). But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I think I showed this before but here is a side-by-side view of my Alden cigar LWB, C&J/RL dark brown Marlow, and Alfred Sargent cognac Miller [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I would think the density of the leather used on the heel stack... but then again, I am one of the lesser knowledgeable members when it comes to construction.

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Yes sir, Momotaro 702s today. FWIW, for all my edits texture wise, I try to keep colors generally true to life. I'll brighten/darken, play with contrast, but don't shift the color spectrum.

I just like playing with snapseed, and find it incredibly fun when compared to other apps like instagram, etc.

BootSpell - re: distressing. I find that on this pair (both when I received them from another user on the B/S and subsequently), the edgetrim gets a bit hammered. I kind of like it though given I wear the boot more casually. A bit more character...

12. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Maiden voyage of some new (to me) Alden monks.

[​IMG]

This is a curious pair acquired from eBay. I failed to read the description carefully: one shoe is calfskin and one shell. Not ideal, but for a beater pair with jeans I'm going to live with them. I consider it an inexpensive opportunity to try the Aberdeen last.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

This is a great pic - you can really see how different the Cigar LWB is from the RL Marlow. The Cigar has some really nice olive tones to it, while the Marlow is more of a straight-up deep brown. Both are excellent choices.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

epi, this could be a pretty cool experiment and no one else will know. keep us posted with the progress.

15. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Any sizing info between Marlow and Barrie last.

16. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Now that I can see the LWB next to the Marlow certain aesthetic differences become apparent. Long-wing v swb not withstanding, the Alden looks historically classic like you could have pulled them out of your grandfathers closet. The C&J looks like a compilation of modern style points with an homage towards the past. I know that makes no sense what so ever.

17. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

[​IMG] soon to hit the pavement Inky Black Roy Boots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

What sort of noise are you talking about? The clacking of the heels and soles as they hit the floor?

19. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Agreed. Same size 10.5D in lined and BB unlined:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

The Shoe Mart looks to have shortwings available in both black shell and Color #8, both are balmorals. And Leffot has a shortwing blucher available in cigar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.