• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Absolutely beautiful boots! Plaza last? I can't wait until I have a pair of shell plaza boots to call my own. I put in my deposit for the whiskey plaza wingtip boot at Epaulet, but that's still at least a year off.

thank you
the boots are on the plaza last

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

guys, i just scored these on ebay, and I am trying to figure out the last.
i know leather soul did this shoe once and it was the Leydon last (which i hope this is). but the LS version did not have a storm welt as this does, and I can't find any other store that did this model, let alone with a storm welt.
thoughts?

nephew,
ls version was on the plaza last and the style #89518

closerlook

Reaction score
guys, i just scored these on ebay, and I am trying to figure out the last.
i know leather soul did this shoe once and it was the Leydon last (which i hope this is). but the LS version did not have a storm welt as this does, and I can't find any other store that did this model, let alone with a storm welt.
thoughts?

nephew,
ls version was on the plaza last and the style #89518

Uncle, you are amazing.
thanks

what retailer are they from?

I know you own the leydon last version from LS. do you have this one too?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Frans Boone parajumpers arrived this morning. Pre-wear photos below. Fortunately it appears as if Grant last 11D works for me. It's just slightly snug now and should break in nicely. This compares to 10.5E/11D for Barrie. Hope to start wearing these shortly, and will post photos in action.

Also thought I'd post a copy of the insert Frans Boone sends that describes return policies, which seem pretty good to me. This may be on their site somewhere, but I haven't looked.

wear in good health

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uncle, you are amazing.
thanks
what retailer are they from?
I know you own the leydon last version from LS. do you have this one too?

nephew,
i do no have the shoe you just purchased

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is NOT barrie. Please go back and check my post. Barrie lasted stitching is round, while on the Trubalance it is softly-squared. See frans boone pics.

What stitching are you referring? I don't think the stitching determines the last, nor does the last determine the stitching.

Probably more like whatever the merchant specifies for the make-up is what Alden does.

We have confirmation from Alden themselves that those cigar Indy boots at the Alden San Francsico store are Barrie last, along with a couple of people who have gone there in person and tried them on all confirming Barrie last...

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking to start my search for the Chukka.  I won't be using these for dress.  So the color is the question, I've seen both the Whiskey and Cigar in this model, both look smashing, wondering how the Ravello might look.  Ravello just might be the most versatile but wonder if it has that Wow factor?  Of course the #8 looks fine too but maybe a touch dressy for my wardrobe. I don't have to wear suits anymore.  Jeans, chino's blazers ...Thoughts cousins?

I have the shell rainbow in chukkas. :slayer:

Given your post above, I would recommend cigar, then ravello. :nodding:

shellshoe

Reaction score
Has anyone had any transaction with http://jgilbertfootwear.com before? How was it? I am lookng at buying a pair of Alden boots designed by them but communication stopped after 2 emails regarding getting the right size for the boots. I was going to provide my credit card details for the purchase but am unsure if I should go ahead as providing credit card details coupled with the poor communication seems rather risky.

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have the shell rainbow in chukkas. :slayer:
Given your post above, I would recommend cigar, then ravello. :nodding:

nephew,
my reaction is just the opposite of yours-my first choice would be ravello and then cigar

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These may be the best looking all around boots I've seen on SF. NIce choice.

Frans Boone parajumpers arrived this morning. Pre-wear photos below. Fortunately it appears as if Grant last 11D works for me. It's just slightly snug now and should break in nicely. This compares to 10.5E/11D for Barrie. Hope to start wearing these shortly, and will post photos in action.

Also thought I'd post a copy of the insert Frans Boone sends that describes return policies, which seem pretty good to me. This may be on their site somewhere, but I haven't looked.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have to agree Mr. Mac... Ravello is my first choice, they wow the heck out of me. However, there are some cigar shades (the darker the better) that are pretty damn stunning. My cigar LWB are pretty light and my new Ravello LWB (Alden DC) are on the darker end of the spectrum. They are nearly the same color... pretty disappointed. Anyone know how I can darken my Cigar Shell??

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I have to agree Mr. Mac... Ravello is my first choice, they wow the heck out of me.  However, there are some cigar shades (the darker the better) that are pretty damn stunning.  My cigar LWB are pretty light and my new Ravello LWB (Alden DC) are on the darker end of the spectrum.  They are nearly the same color... pretty disappointed.  Anyone know how I can darken my Cigar Shell??

Give Saphir dark brown shell cordovan cream a try. I used it on my AE dark brown shell Strands, and they went from a ho-hum chocolate brown to a much deeper/richer dark brown - and that was my intended result. :nodding:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think I have to agree Mr. Mac... Ravello is my first choice, they wow the heck out of me.  However, there are some cigar shades (the darker the better) that are pretty damn stunning.  My cigar LWB are pretty light and my new Ravello LWB (Alden DC) are on the darker end of the spectrum.  They are nearly the same color... pretty disappointed.  Anyone know how I can darken my Cigar Shell??

cigar and ravello lwb are good looking shoes- i am big believerwhen it comes to the exotic colors that time will take care of your issue; therefore, i would do nothing

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nephew,
my reaction is just the opposite of yours-my first choice would be ravello and then cigar

Uncle, I am not surprised by your order change (and certainly either one is great). But perhaps our "disagreement" stems more from our overall preferences - with you tipping the scales slightly in favor of ravello over cigar and I tipping the scales slightly in favor of cigar over ravello. For example, I get the impression you - even if by the slightest of margins - would favor the ravello LWB over the cigar LWB. I personally would switch that order, and the margin, for that model, would be more than slight. :nodding: Having said all of that, I have an equal number of models in each color.

But of course there is no right or wrong, just personal preferences ...

A good weekend to you, fine sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads