***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I agree that a cigar PTB is more versatile than a whiskey Indy boot, but what are your thoughts on an NST boot vs. Indy boot (same color, sole, etc.)? They look pretty similar side by side, but I think an NST boot can be appropriate up to a sport coat (not a suit, unless it was clearly a country suit), no?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I think an NST is going to be better suited to a sport coat, even if it is on the Barrie. On the Aberdeen, absolutely better suited in my opinion.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

It may just be the lighting in the pictures, but those are damn good looking cigar LWB. I can see the variation but I say they're still awesome. My cigar LWB seem significantly lighter and they're pretty close to the same shade as my new ravello LWB. I think I'd be happy with yours, but that's just my opinion. Bootspell is right, you need to be happy with them. Good luck...

4. IRONHORSE

IRONHORSE Well-Known Member

Frank, would Amex be excluded from the currency conversion rate? How can I tell? I 'm glad I read this before doing Paypal.

5. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

6. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Thanks for your help on these. I think once they get knocked around and start to patina I won't mind as much so I'm going to keep them. Plus I got them from Frans Boone, so after hearing from you guys that this isn't a huge variation in color it's not worth the cost to send back (I tried them on but have not yet worn them outside).

Great customer service from Frans Boone...wish I had known about the credit card fee and asking them to lower the value because I got hit with both. Lesson learned.

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I did use Amex. Don't know if all their various cards are fee free, but one I have is.

Discover doesn't charge a fee as far as I know (if FB takes that). Some Visa/MC issues don't either. Probably best to Google or give the issuer a call.

A few percentage points more on a purchase of this amount is certainly unpleasant when it's also avoidable.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I'm not a stickler for rules, but Indy boots in general are among Alden's most casual boots, so by definition an NST boot is dressier. NST boots could go with sportcoats and what not. Interesting I think the hand stitching on NST boots and shoes make them more casual, because they tend to give the boot a clunkier look.

On the earlier question on cigar PTB vs whiskey indy, the cigar PTB is much more versatile. However, I believe you are looking at the cigar PTB from Frans Boone - the crepe sole and gold eyelets on that shoe make it a lot more casual than a standard cigar PTB.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  9. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I agree with this, I just think it's interesting since the boots are pretty similar given the same color, sole, and last.

10. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Frank, not sure if you have platinum or something else at the high end that may not have foreign transaction fees. What Amex typically does (and holds true for Gold cards, Blue, etc) and it is very suspect is that they subsume the fees into your exchange rate, so Amex's exchange rate is poor compared to some other cards that explicitly state that there are no foreign transaction fees, like Capital One Venture, Chase Sapphire Preferred, etc.

Amex and the other credit card companies were subject to a big antitrust case about this very issue, as they were screwing consumers. But I guess we should expect it.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Yes - a crepe sole makes a shoe waaaaaaaaaaaaay more casual.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

NST boots are also available on the Aberdeen (TSM) and Plaza (JGilbert).

13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

That is good information to know about getting Frans Boone to lower the value. I've bought from Frans Boone a few times now, they always have some great makeups.

And ZippyH, you are right, there should be no customs on Alden shoes coming back into the U.S. However, Frans Boone ships to the U.S. via UPS and UPS is actually charging the receiver a "brokerage fee" for their service of bringing the item into the states from a foreign shipper based on its value regardless of where the product was originally produced.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Maiden voyage on these. Really looking forward to these developing a good patina over time.

[​IMG]

15. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Beautiful boots, enjoy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.