• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mothball

Reaction score
Tobacco Chamois on their first outing.

mikeharo

Reaction score
Mothball,

Looking good. How do you plan to take care of the chamois? I treated mine with waterproofing. Where the creases have formed, the chamois now has a bit of sheen and the material is "matted down (sorry if there is a technical term for that)." Its not something that can be taken away with a suede brush (tried it). Wondering if you have any thoughts.

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score
Thank you! Honestly, my impression (which could be wrong) is that the leather is oily enough that it doesn't really need to be treated. I was concerned about the sheen you describe. Maybe someone else has had more experience with the chamois?

ubiquiti

Reaction score
I finally got around to applying Saphir Renovateur to my #8 boots, and sometimes the dye would be coming off as I applied it (I used my index finger) so the cream turned purple.

Is this normal?

herrmj

Reaction score
I finally got around to applying Saphir Renovateur to my #8 boots, and sometimes the dye would be coming off as I applied it (I used my index finger) so the cream turned purple.

Is this normal?

yes

AAF-8AF

Reaction score
Just in this week -- snuff suede short wings (flex sole, Hampton last) from Leather Soul. They are actually darker than the photo indicates. Snuff plain toe boots on the way from LS. It's a snuffy week.

Marc

BB792349-3AE9-47B2-B6E5-0007DE1A769C-2183-0000022C04E07ADD.jpg

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read a few times about breaking in shoes on carpet first (and not just in case one needs to return them). What's the benefit to doing this than say, just going outside with them? Not sure if it was just in reference to shell specifically.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read a few times about breaking in shoes on carpet first (and not just in case one needs to return them). What's the benefit to doing this than say, just going outside with them? Not sure if it was just in reference to shell specifically.

I know one reason is because while they are still stiff, walking on concrete results in accelerated wear on the toe of the sole because of increased friction from the way that one is caused to walk by stiff shoes.

AAF-8AF

Reaction score
It's a good idea to get some flexing on the soles to loosen them up before hitting the pavement. Otherwise, a stiff sole on pavement will risk premature abrasion and added wearing down of the toe edge of the sole.

Marc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads