1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don L

Don L Senior member

Agree, great snag Seven

2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Any consensus on sizing of the Alden for BB cordovan PTB versus Barrie (it's on the M58 last, right)?

Also, how casually do you think the Alden for BB #8 cap toe blucher can be worn? Since I mainly wear denim and chinos, I think I'd be better off with a cap toe blucher boot than a shoe, but I'd be curious to get some input.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

This is kind of like the Tremont - in that some go TTS; some go down 1/2 size (like with Barrie). For me (TTS 9.5D), a 9.5D in the M58 was too roomy - but a 9.5C is perfect.

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Thanks. I guess the other issue is they don't seem to have many sizes of this model on the website. I guess it can't hurt to call.

5. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

No need to post that. These POV "urinal shots" are bad enough as it is.

6. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

What about traveling through the airport with Indys with laces tucked into the shoe so you can slip them off at checkpoints? Then they can be tied or removed once you're going to be somewhere for a little while...If this didn't work, what about leaving the boot idea behind and going with an lhs?

This brings up a quick Indy question for me: how high are you guys lacing your Indys? Do you use all the speed hooks? Tying around the back of the shoe? Skipping speed hooks outright ever? I've seen the tying around the back look, but was worried about indentations it would leave in the cxl leather.

7. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

I would definitely say to do what you would with the Barrie, I have the BB PTB and the regular Alden PTB. They are essentially the same shape/last.

8. docalden2013

I've been continuing to think about what cleaning/conditioning/polishing materials are best to use as these shoes all break in. Do you guys have thoughts on Saphir Renovateur vs. Venetian Shoe Cream?

9. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

use the first 3 speed hooks, tie around the back and then knot in the front.

wouldn't worry about any indentations....

...you're supposed to beat the living crap out of your indys.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I lace standard criss-cross and use all the speedhooks. I swapped out the standard brown cotton laces mine came with for the Alden flat waxed laces and prefer that look...

11. sevenfoldtieguy

all speed hooks - yes
    around the back - no

12. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

I lace all my boots to the top, I like the look and feel better. The lace partial with wrap around seems to be popular too but I don't like it.

13. azima

azima Well-Known Member

Cigar LWB just come in from AoC. Edgetrim came out to be the perfect hue. Was worried about them being too dark.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. docalden2013

Thanks for sharing. I was worried about the marks made on the side and back of the top of the Indys, as my laces have left track marks on the tongue, particularly where the laces meet the speed hooks.

That said, if I recall correctly, Mac has reminded us that these, in the end, are shoes, not Rembrandts.

One more Indy question: are you guys ever up for using colored flat laces? I bought a pair of red benjos, but not sure if it presents too much color. Indy boot seems not to be the type of boot to dandify. Extra thanks for anyone who can offer opinions on colored laces with LWBs, shell or otherwise. Thanks in advance!

15. docalden2013

Thank you so much for posting these. Just ordered with Adam yesterday and was regretting having forgotten to ask about what the edgetrim was going to look like. Gorgeous! Now I can't believe these won't be arriving at the office until next Monday...[​IMG]

16. azima

azima Well-Known Member

hopefully they turn out like this. I should note that I asked Adam to give me the pair with the lighest edge trim if they had multiple pairs in my size.

17. sevenfoldtieguy

No - but my Indys are black shell.

18. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

was at the doctor's office today, assistant had to take my measurements and watched me fiddle for 30 seconds taking off both of my indy boots.

her: "wow, those look like heavy duty boots"
    me: "yea, wish i could keep them on for the height measurement"
    her: "those are like combat boots, but cute"
    me: "uh huh"

19. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

[​IMG]

20. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I've gotten more compliments on the street on my cigar indys than any other shoe i wear .Funny as i've never thought of them as being that "noticeable "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.