• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ubiquiti

Reaction score
Breaking these in on some carpet...
It's pretty amazing how much difference welt selection and color can make a boot look. The dark edge, flat welt and leather sole on these may make these among the sleekest Aldens I have (boot or shoe) despite the fact it is in barrie last. I would not hesitate to wear these with a suit.

The tankers I have coming from Leffot later this year will be more casual option (antique edge, commando sole)
I was opposed to blind eyelets on this style, but this made me change my mind. Thanks for the pic.

On a side note, anyone know when Color 8 Indy is due to ship from J. Gilbert?

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
It's pretty amazing how much difference welt selection and color can make a boot look. The dark edge, flat welt and leather sole on these may make these among the sleekest Aldens I have (boot or shoe) despite the fact it is in barrie last. I would not hesitate to wear these with a suit.

The tankers I have coming from Leffot later this year will be more casual option (antique edge, commando sole)
These might be the nicest boots I've seen...congrats brother.

neutrino

Reaction score
Oh guys. Lord knows I've tried. First shell ordered - cigar LWB from Alden SF. I wanted to get a PTB at first (the only Aldens I have now are natural CXL longwings), but my size went out of stock, while I was numbly refreshing the page.
Is this the beginning of the end (of my wallet)?

CTYGGG

Reaction score
IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

Whiskey Indy

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd say jump on it for 270.  They are often hard to find at all.  Do you happen to know what other colors they have in stock?

$270 is steep. I recommend getting the brooks brothers burgundy shell belt. The burgundy is somewhere in between #8 and cigar and after just a handful of wears, you'll begin to see the belt lightening up. I've had mine for about 1.5 years and it now looks more brown than #8. Paid $90 for mine during the holiday season

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw these yesterday. Such a great looking boot. Your pair looks like whiskey whereas te pair I saw yesterday looked like a light Ravello

How'd you like the whiskey balmoral wingtip?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a few shell Barrie Lasted models that have no storm welt (e.g., Ravello SWB; Cigar NST). They are noticeably sleeker than my Barrie's with the storm welt, such as PTBs and LWBs. You are correct this boot is quite dressy. Looks good. :nodding:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are first quality. Also, I ordered these with shoe trees which arrived installed in theshoes so someone definitely missed this. Again, I'm not really that upset, Yenni is going to contact Alden early this coming week and see what the options are. I still have nothing but praise for J. Gilbert. 

Yenni is first-class, and wonderful to work with.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Whiskey shortwing looked great with the light brown edge trim. Definitely made a couple passes at it before I left.

Another interesting note: Alden definitely applies a layer of color to all of its shell which explains why Alden shell is so easy to maintain compared to C&J and carmina. There was a pair of black shell monk straps that looked like a charcoal/olive green when held just right. The change looks to have been caused by long periods of sun exposure

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe not superglue but adhesive cement (you can pick them up at a shoe repair store). Also, in addition to the sock liner, there is a foam that also goes under the sock liner.

Superglue works just fine. A proper adhesive cement will work too. I have removed and installed heel pads (with foam below) numerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads