1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Got my Cigar Indy boots from J. Gilbert. A couple concerns though: 1) One of the leather heel pads is missing, and 2) the one heel pad is labeled incorrectly. See pictures. What should I do about the missing heal pad? Sorry for the crappy pics, not a lot of natural light on a rainy day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Puzzling?

If the boots are otherwise fine, email them and request new heel pads. Then just superglue them down.

3. amftx

amftx Well-Known Member

The elusive ravello short wing in the wild. This makes me weep, just a little.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Maybe not superglue but adhesive cement (you can pick them up at a shoe repair store). Also, in addition to the sock liner, there is a foam that also goes under the sock liner.

5. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Thanks for the tip! I know it doesn't really matter but you think I'd be able to get a sock liner that says J. Gilbert? I like that all my Aldens say where they came from.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I cannot be certain but I am sure if the distributor (e.g., J. Gilbert) requested the branded sock liner from Alden, they could get a couple. I guess it will just take time. I guess the convenient alternative of just picking up standard leather sock liners from a cobbler is out of the question. :satisfied:

Enjoy the boots!

7. AML225

AML225 Senior member

I e-mail Yenni at J. Gilbert who has been absolutely incredible through the whole pre-order and waiting process. If nothing happens, I'll still be thrilled with my boots and have a cobbler install the missing liner and sharpie on J. Gilbert. [​IMG]

8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I did the same when I was able to actually get my hands on a pair. :satisfied:

9. Teger

Teger Senior member

those ravellos are nice

10. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

Just got these back yesterday. A fine job, sorry for the crappy light and dirty iPhone lens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, Nick V. went above and beyond in attending to my many questions. What a stand-up guy and a true gentleman.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Breaking these in on some carpet...

It's pretty amazing how much difference welt selection and color can make a boot look. The dark edge, flat welt and leather sole on these may make these among the sleekest Aldens I have (boot or shoe) despite the fact it is in barrie last. I would not hesitate to wear these with a suit.

[​IMG]

The tankers I have coming from Leffot later this year will be more casual option (antique edge, commando sole)

12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Those look bloody awesome. I've been resisting pulling the trigger on a #caotoe boot...your're not helping :slayer:

13. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Sounds like someone is rationalizing the purchase of 2 pairs of Color 8 boots (I, on the other hand, have come to accept my weakness and no longer need to justify why I must have many pairs of "similar" shoes/boots...:nodding:).

BTW - I have this boot as well (I had Alden Restoration add commando soles to my pair but I agree with your comment about wearing this boot with a suit, it looks great). I also believe the blind eyelets "dresses up" the boot.

14. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Amazing to me that J Gilbert would let a boot go out of their store like that (especially with Tassels HK branding - are they first quality?).

15. forex

forex Senior member

Why are all suede tassel loafers made in kid suede nowadays? I don't like kid suede Alden uses, looks cheap and has horrible nap. I have some older tassel loafers in suede which are not kid and they are awesome. Any ideas why Alden is using kid suede for tassel loafers exclusively?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.