• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterloo 360T

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the edge trim color of the Alden of SF Cigar PTB is?

Thanks for the help.

Jason

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some help here. I have the #8 BB Unlined Penny. These shoes are at least 10 years old but never resoled. They are ready for B Nelson at this point. I noticed a tiny cracking between two stitches on the uppers. I've only used #8 paste very sparingly over the years in California. I am now in Arizona where it's as dry as a fart. I think these need some moisture maybe added. Was thinking Venetian shoe cream, I believe it comes in Neutral, or at least the bottle appears white cream like. Or... one of the Safire products from Kirby. Maybe just pickup some cordovan cream from AE here locally. Recommendations anyone? I want to get many more years out of these bomb loafers. Also, my Marlow for RL cordovan penny's seem very dry, not even the same sheen as the Alden BB Penny, very dull looking cordovan on those RL's. Funny, the RL other cordovans (Shortwing, PTB & Tassel) are normal Cigar color with a nice sheen. Net net, I need to get some moisture going here to keep these shell from cracking up in the desert.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
@ Arrow, the photos of the McLarens LWBs on the Unionmade site do not do them justice at all. Beautiful shoes. Another request for more pics!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whiskey plain toes with a few miles on 'em.

your whiskeys need the method

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need some help here.  I have the #8 BB Unlined Penny.  These shoes are at least 10 years old but never resoled.  They are ready for B Nelson at this point.  I noticed a tiny cracking between two stitches on the uppers.  I've only used #8 paste very sparingly over the years in California.  I am now in Arizona where it's as dry as a fart.  I think these need some moisture maybe added.  Was thinking Venetian shoe cream, I believe it comes in Neutral, or at least the bottle appears white cream like.  Or... one of the Safire products from Kirby.  Maybe just pickup some cordovan cream from AE here locally.  Recommendations anyone?  I want to get many more years out of these bomb loafers.  Also, my Marlow for RL cordovan penny's seem very dry, not even the same sheen as the Alden BB Penny, very dull looking cordovan on those RL's.  Funny, the RL other cordovans  (Shortwing, PTB & Tassel) are normal Cigar color with a nice sheen.  Net net, I need to get some moisture going here to keep these shell from cracking up in the desert. 

Saphir Reno will work well if you are after moisture and not color. Saphir shell cordovan cream in burgundy and dark brown and black will add moisture and color. There is also a Saphir shell cordovan cream in neutral which I also have.

There is nothing wrong with Venetian (I have some and use it sometimes), but, IMO, nothing adds needed moisture to shell like the Saphir products. In the last few weeks I have treated no fewer than 25 shell models with Saphir Reno or Saphir shell cordovan cream. I would stay away from the AE shell cordovan cream.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ejydk7.jpg

3466eyu.jpg

#8 nst
argyles otc

Last edited:

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
Quote:

Has cigar lost pretty much all of the olive hue it once had? I'd really like to get some longwings and am partial to the cigar color that I've been seeing lately that doesn't seem to have a trace of green. CTYGGG's are a perfect example...also love the edge trim on the AF81s but I know Alden of Carmel won't accept returns if I don't care for the shade once I receive them. Thanks in advance to any owners of recently purchased cigar who can help.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone help me out?

I am buying my first pair of boots. Can someone recommend me a quality pair that is very versatile in style and color? I am a true size 12. My wardrobe consists of mostly epaulet but all my footwear is crap from nordstroms. Nothing too "old" looking as I am still in my 20's.
Color 8 chukkas. Cigar chukkas.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has cigar lost pretty much all of the olive hue it once had? I'd really like to get some longwings and am partial to the cigar color that I've been seeing lately that doesn't seem to have a trace of green. CTYGGG's are a perfect example...also love the edge trim on the AF81s but I know Alden of Carmel won't accept returns if I don't care for the shade once I receive them. Thanks in advance to any owners of recently purchased cigar who can help.

A very recent cigar purchase of mine was the cigar/snuff suede saddle shoe from Leffot. Not a trace of olive in the pair I have.

Kashiwa

Reaction score

Can someone help me out?

I am buying my first pair of boots. Can someone recommend me a quality pair that is very versatile in style and color? I am a true size 12. My wardrobe consists of mostly epaulet but all my footwear is crap from nordstroms. Nothing too "old" looking as I am still in my 20's.
Versatile can mean a lot of things. If you can elaborate on how you plan to wear them, I think you'll get more helpful advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics