Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Those look great! Please post more - I am considering picking up a pair.

2. mothball

mothball Senior member

I have to talk myself out of picking up a pair every time I see a pic. They look great!

3. arrow

arrow Senior member

Thanks!
    I was surprised at how better they fit in the heel area compared to my other similarly barrie lasted shoes.
    Very compatible with denim as well as chinos. I'd say take the plunge if they still have your size. This re-stock took 8 months.

4. forsan

forsan Senior member

Every time I see the Unionmade McLaren in the wild, I warm up more and more to the idea of them. I'm not huge on longwings, but something about that two-tone combo is awesome.

I'll be in San Francisco this weekend...I just might have to make it happen!

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Quick question from a new guy... how versatile are cigar PTB's? What do you usually wear them with? thanks!

6. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Has anyone used Alden Leather Defender on other non-Alden, calfskin? I just applied some to my 2010 Lobb St Crepins in Dark Brown Misty Calf (antiqued finish), and I am not sure if my shoes changed color, or whether they were always like this and I didn't really notice the blemishes. Maybe someone out there owns a shoe in Misty Calf and can tell me if this looks normal? I can't believe Lobb would manufacture a shoe with such sensitive antiquing...

I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I'm worried I may have screwed up some really pricey kicks...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

These absolutely belong on here.

I have numerous Color 8 Alden for BB models, and the one constant is a rich burgundy color with deep purple hues. :nodding: Some, but not all, of my Alden factory models in Color 8 are in the same color category; all of my Alden for BB models in Color 8 are. My understanding is that there is no difference in treatment between color 8 factory models and color 8 Alden for BB models, so perhaps this is merely coincidence. Overall the color variations in Color 8 models is fine with me as having a variety is nice.

8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

IMO those shoes would go with EVERYTHING from grey/blue/tan/ tweed suits to denim to chinos...everyhting except a black suit or obviously a tux

9. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

As I prepared to exit a train here in Tokyo today I spotted what looked like an Alden on the very large advertisement dangling over my head. Sure enough. A Modified last color 8 blucher was pictured under the title (in Japanese) "the ever popular shoe maker, Alden". Next to the Alden in the picture was a New Balance sneaker. The ad was for the current issue of the fashion magazine Begin. The theme this month is Alden vs. New Balance. Now I understand Alden & New Balance. But Alden vs. New Balance I don't follow. Further investigation required.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Welcome.

Personal style will play a big role in answering this question. This shoe can be worn in various casual settings - on that point there will be little disagreement. In terms of how dressy one can go with these, I suspect you will get a variety of different opinions, none of which necessarily right, or wrong. For me, this shoe is too casual for a suit, particulalry if it has antique edging, But a great shoe nevertheless.

11. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

+1

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I think cigar PTBs can work well with suits, particularly navy and light grey suits. They are are definitely more "casual" than balmorals traditionally, but the thing about Alden cordovan shoes is that they are noticably well made and good looking shoes (and they have a "classic" shape), so to 98% of observers, they will look good with suits. Sticklers for rules may think they are too casual or clunky, but to most people, they will just very nice looking dress shoes that complement your overall look. I think the same principle applies to longwings as well. Cigar longwings on an antique sole may appear "casual" to some, but I find they complement a navy suit extremely well.

13. marmottan

marmottan Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    The best ad for the cap toe boot?

Morgan, awesome whiskey.
    A very good combo with the blue of your pants.

14. marmottan

marmottan Well-Known Member

Good post Alcibiades.
    Personally, I will not wear longwings with a suit. Wingtips look more formal.
    I really love LW but I find them too "heavy" with a suit. They are perfect with denims or with a chino and a sport coat.

Actually, it's more a personal habit than an absolute truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.