1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yep, that's it. Unfortunately it isn't available anymore. You'll have to get lucky and find them used!

2. The7Ups

The7Ups Well-Known Member

I’m based in Europe and I’ve previously purchased Alden directly from the US therefore it’s frustrating that Alden now prevents US retailers shipping product internationally.

It’s not as if the brand is particularly well known here where it is a niche heritage name stocked by a small bunch of indies. I would be surprised if they had the clout to lobby Alden on competition grounds to stop US retailers ship internationally. However I wonder if the policy has come about from pressure from Japanese retailers who do stock Alden in greater quantities and who have to apply penal local taxes to the recommended price. I could see those guys losing out alright to internationally shipped product from the US.

For alternative suppliers, all based in Europe, you could try the following outlets who also have online shops:

Frans Boone
    Tres Bien
    Nitty Gritty
    Kafka.co.uk
    The Bureau Belfast
    End Clothing
    and Present London.

Most offer a limited range of ready to wear styles and some collaborations mostly in US D fit although some E (wide) can also be found. Some are priced in Euro, some in Sterling, unfortunately all expensive unless your location gets you a full VAT deduction.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Actually I am not sure about that - that looks to me like a ravello medallion captoe shoe on the plaza last, which is occasionally stocked at Alden DC.

I know Alden NYC stocks a balmoral cigar medallion captoe shoe as well.

I was referring to the Alden DC cigar grant straight tip captoe boot on commando soles, which is one of my favorites and owned by several posters

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Alden in Washington DC will ship international last time I checked, call Kathy.

5. MoneyWellSpent

It is the shoe in bold. It has been discussed recently as well, and Sazon has a pair for sale right now in size 10.5D. I don't know how often Alden DC restocks them, but since they are a special make-up, I wouldn't get my hopes up given the shortages and delays going on these days with such things.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

That is ravello. I own them. They are one of my favorites.

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Wow, that is a dark ravello.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Both my ravello tassels and ravello longwings are similar shades - I like the darker versions

9. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Me too, though I would've put my money on cigar.

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

deleted

11. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

Will at Leather Soul recommended going with my Barrie size which seems to be right on for these. I was glad to see Uncle Mac recommended the same earlier in the thread.

I have tried these on in shell and felt that an 11D was a bit snug across the top but the 11.5 was a bit loose in the heel. Surpisingly, the 11D in these feels great with no tightness across the vamp.

I have never needed a narrow shoe but may try an 11.5 A/C in the shell to see if the extra length helps with the vamp tightness and the narrow width helps with the heel. I know that this was a preorder so I am not sure if they have any left. What is your size?

12. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

got my cigar LHS in the mail today... mmm... now i need to add whiskey and black to the rainbow. i think the only shoe i really want in every shell color is the LHS. i've had other alden's and sold them and i think everything i have now are definite keepers.

my current Alden lineup is the following... in order of acquisitions.

1. J. Crew PCT Boot - Color 8
    2. Leffot Navy Suede Tassel Loafers
    3. LS Plaza CXL Wingtip Boot
    4. LHS - Color 8
    5. Ravello LWB
    6. LS Brown CXL Ultimate Indy
    7. LHS- Cigar

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

That's a nice lineup. If you love the LHS and don't mind tripling up, it seems to be a natural choice for your first or only whiskey.

14. imolazhp_ci

i don't! SF has my size in Whiskey LHS now... but i bought the Cigars and the Indy's this week so i'm running thin on disposable funds, especially with wanting a new watch in the near future.

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I should've mentioned that the tanker is the only shoe I actually own in the above. The other two are simply styles I happen to like.

Many have suggested the grant cap toe boot. I definitely like this, though I'd prefer to not get both a ravello and cigar cap toe boot.

Many have also mentioned a cigar wingtip boot, but I have only seen Uncle post a pair of these, I think on the plaza. What specific model/retailer were you guys thinking of?

16. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Well, whiskey is rare and all, but I'm sure you'll be able to get it in the future once you save up a bit more after your recent purchases. It just might not always be available in stock somewhere.

17. imolazhp_ci

definitely. i'm not too worried. DC has an unofficial list going for Whiskey LHS and i'm the first 7.5D on it. so yeah... i can wait a year or whatever. it's not really LHS weather for a few months in new york anyway.

18. chantheman

chantheman Senior member

from leffot's fb page.

72 pairs of cordovans

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. imolazhp_ci

amazing... but there's about 67 pairs of trees missing.

20. MoneyWellSpent

I saw that picture too, and the first thought I had was "wow, impressive collection... too bad the owner doesn't take proper care of them." Most of them don't have shoe trees and are showing the results of it. One would think that anyone who can afford 72 pairs of cordovan Aldens can also afford to take proper care of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.