***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I bought these and ended up returning them. I was already iffy on the aesthetics of the red micro sole, but the clincher was I just didn't like the way it felt underfoot.
    I like Indy's because they feel sturdy. This sole felt squishy and just didn't work. On a lightweight shoe like a Buck, sure, but it's just not suited to a boot, IMO

2. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I was looking into having someone proxy those for me. Glad I didn't - not in love with them after seeing them (I had only seen them in a JCrew advertisement).

I would like that color suede on a standard Indy sole.

3. pelican

pelican Well-Known Member

ok, I've heard back. They said they would like to make another run of the Blackbird milkman's, but Alden is not manufacturing for small businesses right now just larger ones. Really disappointing

as for the suede indy, yuck, i don't support anything jcrew

4. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

Anyone know where to get the replacement heel for my lwb (quabaug or catpaws or any recommendation)?
    and the heel replacement sole for my indy too?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I love J Crew's unlined tan suede ptb with metal eyelets, and some of their other Alden offerings (color 8 perforated captoe, the tobacco longwing, their snuff suede boot on crepe) are pretty good too, but I can't get behind this suede Indy. In general I think red soles have been overused recently.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

6. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Next up, Alden MTOs from General Electric

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

suede indy + red sole = not my cup of tea

8. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

that sounds like BS to me...Context only offers a couple of makeups and they're still placing orders. Does Blackbird even carry Alden anymore?

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Unionmade's snuff Indy on red soles and Leffot's navy Indy on red soles both work, the J Crew doesn't IMO because the suede color clashes too much with the sole

In general, as Aldem's popularity increases, retailers are offering new leather / sole combos... They won't necessarily be universally appealing, but many will like them... The "milkshake" / "marble" suede Indys were a great success

10. meso

meso Senior member

Alden for J Crew is the same, you just lose a bit of street cred.
    I don't like the indy boots either... generally consider suede to not be my thing.
    Coming from a guy who like at least some of McNairy's offerings, which are often made by Sanders in the UK and make generally decent pairs.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Wearing my year+ old J Crew tan suede PTBs right now... Not many better shoes are available to wear sockless with a pair of navy chino shorts and an Oxford shirt... I am thinking about resoling this with a red Dainite sole and getting a new pair of tans next spring.

Personally I dont see a difference between buying Aldens from J Crew vs retailers like Brooks Brothers. Of course we like to support our independent boutiques as well but at the end of the day no one has much trouble selling their Aldens

12. pelican

pelican Well-Known Member

dunno, this is what they said. If you think it's bs email them expressing your interest for a reissue of the boot.

We would love to do another run and we will when we can but right now we are on hold with Alden and can't. I believe they just got to popular and had to freeze some accounts so they could just focus on the big accounts like J Crew and such.

13. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Blackbird is done with Alden. At least that's what they told me. Concentrating on Wolverine 1000 Mile boots and others. Alden isn't a big seller for them and Alden is not supporting small shops with limited runs.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

I have unlined snuff suede PTBs from Unionmade, and I totally agree with your statement above - great summer shoe. :nodding: I've never bought Aldens from JCrew, but I have no problem with those who do. If JCrew has a unique model I like, I won't think twice about pulling the trigger.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

Not that it really matters, but the other posts lead me to believe it is the other way around. No?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.