• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

0waterbouys

Reaction score
Very nice eggplant color on those Ren. King of the gunboat baby
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

marmottan

Reaction score
Excuse me, could you explain the spoon part for me. Thanks mucho~ Sorry picture haters, didn't know how to do this without pictures being viewed again, but ... what the hell great looking shoes... tough it out!

It may sound weird but I use a small spoon on my shells.

I rub the rounded face till it gets hot (you can feel it with your thumb). Immediately after, I energetically brush the shoe. Again and again.
At the time I took these pictures, I only used the spoon on the left shoe (the right one when I wear it). The spoon may have the same effect on shell than does a deer bone (which I never used).
This is probably why the left shoe (see its point on the picture below) appears darker than the right one. They have an "hybrid color" between ravello and whiskey that I like.

Now that both of them have been treated the same way, the difference is less noticeable.
Albeit, color variations still remain.

Last edited:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to work in Alden of DC #8 captoe boots with commando sole after vacationing in the hot & humid Northeast. Even had a chance to stop by ShoeMart but no purchases this time around.

photootf.jpg

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marmottan. What size spoon do you use, tea size, sugar size? I guess it brings the natural oils of the cordovan to the surface hence the darkening of the color and lighter vamp areas. Very cool idea indeed, thanks for sharing.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks Marmottan.  What size spoon do you use, tea size, sugar size?  I guess it brings the natural oils of the cordovan to the surface hence the darkening of the color and lighter vamp areas.  Very cool idea indeed, thanks for sharing.

Who is that in your avatar?

HorseHide

Reaction score

It may sound weird but I use a small spoon on my shells.

I rub the rounded face till it gets hot (you can feel it with your thumb). Immediately after, I energetically brush the shoe. Again and again.
At the time I took these pictures, I only used the spoon on the left shoe (the right one when I wear it). The spoon may have the same effect on shell than does a deer bone (which I never used).

Spoon = poor man's voodoo bone

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Tick approves.
tickspoon.jpg

marmottan

Reaction score
Thanks Marmottan. What size spoon do you use, tea size, sugar size? I guess it brings the natural oils of the cordovan to the surface hence the darkening of the color and lighter vamp areas. Very cool idea indeed, thanks for sharing.

tea size will be perfect. Larger will be useless. Anyway the surface of the spoon touching the shoe won't vary at all, even with a ladle!

I didn't mention but this is exactly what it does: "brings the natural oils to the surface".
You should be very careful with the spoon because you'll want to rub it fast but it might slip and scratch the shoe...
You really don't want that to happen.
crazy.gif

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tea size will be perfect. Larger will be useless. Anyway the surface of the spoon touching the shoe won't vary at all, even with a ladle!

I didn't mention but this is exactly what it does: "brings the natural oils to the surface".
You should be very careful with the spoon because you'll want to rub it fast but it might slip and scratch the shoe...
You really don't want that to happen.
crazy.gif

Can the same effect not be acheived with vigorous brushing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads