***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I think Alden NYC makes a cap toe boot on the Grant last with all eyelets.

2. stanford88

stanford88 Senior member

that doesn't look too good -- agree with you.

3. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

4. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

That would be them. I ordered them through the Alden store in NYC. They were both helpful and sympathetic to the defect situation. I'm thinking my best bet is to send them back, get on the list for a new pair, and see if I can find another pair someplace else in the meantime. I'm guessing the reason for the wait is the 7.5D size. They were the shortest wait I came across on my initial hunt for a pair. Back in May, Shoemart told me over the phone that it could be a year.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have the 4060 and it is a wonderful looking boot. :nodding: The defect on yours is absurd. Take them back and get on the list at Alden NYC and TSM. That's very unfortunate.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

My post from yesterday, in bold below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sambodini "I'm planning on buying a pair of Alden boots. Does the material of the boot lining have a noticeable effect on your foot temperature? I would think the leather lining lasts longer, but may be hotter than the cotton.Also, if anyone has recommendations on a cap toe boot such as this one, which looks to be a special edition ( http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/13860#post_4563635 ) - I would certainly appreciate it.Thanks for sharing your experience."

Alden models 4060 (color 8) and 4065 (black shell) at The Shoemart are similar, but are on the grant last. A boot very similar to the one in question, and also on the Barrie last, but in black shell and color 8, are at Alden Shop of SF and pics of them are a few pages back. No cigar shell captoe boots right now that I know of are being offered.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Alden of DC stocks a grant lasted cigar captoe boot on a commando sole - the boot is owned by several thread members.

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Thats a bad blotch. I'd consider those as seconds for a couple of hundred bucks, cause after some wear I'm sure it would be fine, but not even at $400 seconds price. Finally what seems to be a "real" quality control issue, and not just a missing perf punch.:embar:

To be honest, I know it sucks to be out the dough, but I'd stick it out and wait for the replacement if thats the one you REALLY want. If it was just a spur of the moment purchase, find something similar, which as mentioned is out there.

9. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Thank you so much for this info. I was able to call them up and order a pair. Now I'll have a replacement in just a few days.

10. calidist

calidist Senior member

11. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I know that TSM and Alden NY have #8 all eyelet/captoes on Grant, the pics just looked like a different color and last. I should have asked a more specific question.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

looking good, enjoy wearing

13. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

I anticipate these pics - always wondered what a crepe sole to leather sole conversion looks like.

On that note; if one were to resole a factory crepe sole with a leather sole using a third party, then sent the shoes to Alden restoration, would it be resoled with a leather sole or crepe sole?

An SA at Alden SF told me they'll resole with whatever is on the shoe at the time of restoration.

14. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

On a sidebote, I saw a guy today in this model from
    Alden ny and those boots looked SHARP in person.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    #8 full strap
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.