1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

So if I also agree, that would be +5, right?

I personally like the NST but just like the other two better, LWB being my first choice of the three.

2. sazon

sazon Senior member

Lwb + ptb = happiness

3. Don L

Don L Senior member

LWB
    NST

I am a big NST Fan.
    PTB, not so much

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

If the NST was not on the aberdeen in Alcibiades' post, my answer (PTB + LWB) might have changed.

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Looks like growth marks in the leather. They're not going to go away but they're only a problem if it bothers you.

6. Don L

Don L Senior member

I think the Aberdeen is the perfect last for the NST shoe.
    I do, however, like the Plaza on the NST Boot

Not sure I would like an NST shoe on Barrie?
    Then I got a pair of Ravello on Barrie and really don't notice much difference. Prefer the Aberdeen fit though.

7. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Double post.

8. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Could you kindly provide a link to this?

9. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

Doesnt bother me, was just wondering if it was a defect.
    If its a "natural" thing then i shall leave it.

10. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

Pleasant surprise waiting for me this morning at the office.....CXL LHS from Leather Soul.....these are honestly the most comfortable shoes I have ever put on straight out of the box.....no tightness across the vamp at all which has not been my experience with either the shell or suede versions that I have tried on in the past in the same size.

A question for the members though.....if there are not initially any pressure points will the leather still stretch? I am asking because they fit perfectly right now but if they were to stretch much they may end up being loose.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Looks as though you're moving straight to a masters. I can't add much to help you, I do not own chukkas and look at them as more of a casual shoe. I wear a suit every day. Love my LWBs and wear them casually and with sport coats, sometimes with a suit. Have not tried suede yet, again maybe a little too casual for me.

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

If suede, Snuff (or if not, tan). If shell, Whiskey or Ravello if you can find it. No shorts, IMHO.

Your shells Ideally won't need wax for 6 months. At the minimum 15 wearings. Don't use cream polish on shell. If you take care of them properly you will never need renomat. It is said that saddle soap should not be used on shell.

If you need to buy more than one jar of reno, you are probably overusing it. Not sure about reno, but I know that the Saphir Cordovan Cream has a 5 year shelf life, so no use stocking up.

I would be reluctant to use regular store water-proofer on my shell, but maybe it will be fine. Not a risk I'm willing to take.

You should get a suede protectant for your suede shoes and treat before you wear em outside.

You just need one or the other Wax/Cordovan cream, not both, but I have acquired both. Bought the saphir in every color and then received complimentary aldex wax with subsequent purchases. (yes, get the appropriate color for each)

Your instinct is correct. Stick to the method. Get some good horse hair brushes. One for each color, however, you can use the same one for all, up until you apply wax. I say one for each to avoid cross contamination of different colored wax. YOu can get some daubers (applicators) while you are at it, although not as essential as the brushes.

There was some discussion in the past 4 weeks about good places to buy brushes. Check my post history if you have trouble finding it because I know I threw in $.02.

PTB LWB

13. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Awesome loafer! However the CXL is a little prone to stretching. All of my CXL shoes do. So mybe be conststant with you socks. If you sport them with wooly socks this time of year, they may be a little sloppy if you decide to go sockless come summer. $0.02

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The NST on the Barrie is decent, IMO.

Alden should put the NST shoe (and many others) on the Plaza and call it good. :)

The Plaza for the NST boot (frankly, for any boot) is my first choice hands down. I have Plaza lasted boots in NST, plaintoe, captoe, and WT.

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I disagree, but it's a matter of opinion/personal style choice of course. If I saw a pair of NSTs on the aberdeen in the wild, I'd surely think they looked great.

It's been said before, but the issue some have with the NST shoe is that it's a casual style (split toe blucher) with a formal (flat 270 degree) welt, and on a formal last if it's on the aberdeen. I happen to agree, and think the NST is better as a boot.

16. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

I tried them on with the thin socks I typically wear at work but I do plan to wear them without socks or with loafer socks most of the time as I wanted them primarily for wear with chinos and shorts in the spring, summer and fall.

17. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I think I have a little more love for the NST boot on the barrie, but I definitely agree that more Aldens should be made on the plaza.

18. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Pre-ordered LS Safari snuff suede boots on Plaza last :)

19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The reason I posed the NST/LWB/PTB question is that I have been wearing my cigar NSTs a lot less than I expected (basically not at all). For some reason the NST pattern seems a bit more casual than a normal brogue pattern, yet the last and welt are sleek. Cigar PTBs look great, and the PTB in 9.5E fits me like a glove, while Aberdeen in 10E fits well but not as well as the barrie PTBs. Also, the cigar PTB can be worn with both business casual and denim while the NSTs don't go as well with denim (at least for me). There are a lot of eBay buyers from Japan in my size that like rare cordovan, so I may just throw the NSTs on eBay to see what happens (only have been worn twice)

That said, the barrie NST pattern on a boot (tanker) works extremely well IMO

EDIT - I've also always admired the Ralph Lauren cordovan PTB, and I feel like Alden's will just be a better fitting version of it

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Personal opinion is that the NST is far too casual to wear as anything but a heavy boot. NST shoes looks awkward and overly informal, no matter which the last.

Are not lasts moreso designed to accomodate certain foot types rather than manipulate the look of the shoe? At least to a degree? Or are lasts purely aesthetic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.