1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Aren't 90% of issues with indys? I mean it's their cheapest shoe and they crank out thousands of these especially the past year or two with the workwear boom. I'd say they are the hottest seller by 10 or 20 fold so it's not really very surprising they take less time with each shoe than say a lw or ptb.

It can be even more than 95% because I do not recall a single issue in this thread other than Indy boots- aside from Arigold's problem with his boots.

Of course we cannot blame only Indy boots depending on the problems reported here. Nonetheless, in my opinion this is probably one of the biggest venues where such problems are reported. This cannot not be a simple matter of luck. Please note that people suffer from their Indys manufactured with different specs for various retailers, including LS. Perhaps this happens 1 to 5% of Indy owners, and there is no way we cannot know that. I own 3 Indys and I am quite happy with them.

As these are workboots, and iconic with the Indy movie, this should not be expected.

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

3. saracen

saracen Well-Known Member

I love Aldens as much as anyone here, but I think I'm hearing a lot of excuses and grasping for justifications without facts.

So far I've seen these facts:

Fact 1: No question there are some qc issues with some shoes/boots
    Fact 2: Alden always seems to correct the problem.

Everything else are assumptions (opinions).

4. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Yeah, my Winn Perry longwings had a couple problems that I decided to overlook (spotting on the toe, slightly weird toe shape on one shoe, different looking welts on the two shoes). If I had been able to examine them in the store, I might not have bought them. Alden's quality control is problematic. It's weird, when I see vintage pairs, the stitching always seems much smoother and more regular.

5. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Yeah, my Winn Perry longwings had a couple problems that I decided to overlook (spotting on the toe, slightly weird toe shape on one shoe, different looking welts on the two shoes). If I had been able to examine them in the store, I might not have bought them. Alden's quality control is problematic. It's weird, when I see vintage pairs, the stitching always seems much smoother and more regular.

I wear my 2 Alden QC horror stories as a badge of honor.. [​IMG]

7. iansir

iansir Well-Known Member

In my experience the Indy boots appear to be a bit lower quality than typical alden standards. My Indy shoes in chromexcel are significantly better in finish than identical Indy boots in chromexcel. Still not a perfect shoe, but they are not supposed to be 'perfect'... I think they are fantastic shoes though [​IMG]

8. slappy

slappy Senior member

I really like those shoes, unfortunately they are very hard to find.

9. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

I wear my 2 Alden QC horror stories as a badge of honor.. [​IMG]

Yeah, they're usually easy to forgive as part of the charm.

10. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

I decided to try these laces with my new shoes. I think it adds to the vintage outdoorsy charm of this pair. What do you guys think?[​IMG]

11. videocrew

videocrew Senior member

I decided to try these laces with my new shoes. I think it adds to the vintage outdoorsy charm of this pair. What do you guys think?[​IMG]
    I REALLY like this. Are they the Mocc Oxfords?

12. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

Alden is like the lower east side of nyc. A lot of hip places there in the 70's-90's, then everyone got wind and moved in, now.its yuppie.central. Soon it was in vogue and people were willing to pay exhorbitant rents for the same places that were much cheaper in the past. We'll see if Alden can keep it up. As for Manhattan, well its almost entirely homogenized at this point, but wait I hear Brooklyn has some hip places....
    Im not saying it was a safe place, I was only pointing out that it had some hip spots for the purposes of my allusion. Poorer places tend to as you can take risks with your bar/restaurant/music venue when rent is really cheap. I grew up in fairly crime ridden areas of Los Angeles, but there were really cool places there.
    ^^^Means he has no idea what he's talking about^^^

13. slappy

slappy Senior member

14. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Longwings. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=179917 Unlined chukkas. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...44#post3111144
    Right I totally forgot about these two. As far as I understand, the issue with the cordovan upper is exceptional and perhaps cannot be pre-identifiable? As to the unlined chukkas of gnnaty8, the problem is with the stitching, which is one of the most seen problems of Indy boots. Ain't it? Such stitching is not common in Alden "shoes". BTW, I am not defending or blaming Alden and I agree with gnatty8 about wearing them as a badge of honor. I suppose these problems may constitute less than 1 or 0.5% of the shoes manufactured. Nevertheless Alden should take into consideration such complaints and pay more attention to QC.

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Right I totally forgot about these two. As far as I understand, the issue with the cordovan upper is exceptional and perhaps cannot be pre-identifiable? As to the unlined chukkas of gnnaty8, the problem is with the stitching, which is one of the most seen problems of Indy boots. Ain't it? Such stitching is not common in Alden "shoes".

BTW, I am not defending or blaming Alden and I agree with gnatty8 about wearing them as a badge of honor. I suppose these problems may constitute less than 1 or 0.5% of the shoes manufactured. Nevertheless Alden should take into consideration such complaints and pay more attention to QC.

Although I think a lot of it is confirmation bias in this thread, Alden does seem a bit sloppy in their QA.

16. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Right I totally forgot about these two. As far as I understand, the issue with the cordovan upper is exceptional and perhaps cannot be pre-identifiable? As to the unlined chukkas of gnnaty8, the problem is with the stitching, which is one of the most seen problems of Indy boots. Ain't it? Such stitching is not common in Alden "shoes".
    the problem is that boots and chukkas represent the main reason to buy Alden in the first place (and longwings/classic bluchers, though there are alternate solid choices for these). so if there are QC problems with the main differentiators the company has, that's a problem. as it currently stands if I want a boot like an Indy boot, well there aren't many choices. but I'm not going to be spending $400 - $650 on a product given these problems. I spend that much money, I expect that I can not worry about construction for the next 10 years. that is a reasonable expectation, and how many people can mentally justify the purchase

17. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

the problem is that boots and chukkas represent the main reason to buy Alden in the first place (and longwings/classic bluchers, though there are alternate solid choices for these). so if there are QC problems with the main differentiators the company has, that's a problem. as it currently stands if I want a boot like an Indy boot, well there aren't many choices. but I'm not going to be spending $400 - $650 on a product given these problems. I spend that much money, I expect that I can not worry about construction for the next 10 years. that is a reasonable expectation, and how many people can mentally justify the purchase
    Well you should not buy a product you do not believe will meet your expectations.

18. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

Interesting, new Leather Soul Hawaii Pitt boot pics are released and there's crickets chirping in this thread....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Interesting, new Leather Soul Hawaii Pitt boot pics are released and there's crickets chirping in this thread....

...that's the sound of people quietly buying them up

(only 18 pairs in each color)

20. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

...that's the sound of people quietly buying them up

(only 18 pairs in each color)

Been reading and posting in this thread for months, but have never seen this question come up.

Does anyone have a specific way of making first creases in brand new shell cordovan boots or shoes?

I've always slipped my feet in without much thought and started walking around. Usually works fine. But there have been two times when one of the boots broke an initial crease in a funny way that annoyed me.

On one pair I totally got over it -- wabi sabi -- and they're among my favorite boots. The other pair pinched so oddly along some prominent toe-stitching that I got rid of them (to be fair, that particular style wasn't for me anyway).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.