• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matto ELITE

Reaction score
WT boots in black soft calf from Leather Soul. I love this leather. Bryan was great to work with.

Spoke with Bryan at Leather Soul.

I wear a 9.5D on my Cigar LWB. He has a pair of these black calfskin's in 9.5E. Is that going to be a REALLY huge difference width wise? I really like them, but I don't want to dick around and waste $50/time shipping them back.

Renton

Reaction score

I wear a 9.5D on my Cigar LWB.  He has a pair of these black calfskin's in 9.5E. Is that going to be a REALLY huge difference width wise?  I really like them, but I don't want to dick around and waste $50/time shipping them back.

I think it'll be 3/16 of an inch difference in width. How snug are your lwb?

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually I ordered a pair of unlined chukka in Leydon from them. Got it shipped to mailbox in around 6 days. Probably lucked out and they actually had it in stock.

you're lucky.

they weren't honest about when my order would ship on 3 separate occasions, so I cancelled it.

I can't remember the last time I experienced such abhorrent customer service.
I now fully understand why so many people have negative things to say about North River Outfitters.

Discounts are great, but you're not going to get my business if you act like a dick.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yeah I hear ya. I was a bit worried reading the bad reviews, but I figure I give it a shot and took a gamble. If they had ripped me off, think my CC covers it.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're lucky.
they weren't honest about when my order would ship on 3 separate occasions, so I cancelled it.
I can't remember the last time I experienced such abhorrent customer service.
I now fully understand why so many people have negative things to say about North River Outfitters.
Discounts are great, but you're not going to get my business if you act like a dick.

You should write a review of them on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nro-boston
and
http://www.yelp.com/biz/northriveroutfitter-com-boston

Last edited:

HorseHide

Reaction score

Do you find it more narrow?
More toe box taper than the barrie(r)?

The RL is more narrow than the Barrie (toe box still has plenty of room). Not sure how much of this comes from the general stiffness of the shoe - these are real tanks and make the Aldens feel like sneakers out of the box.

Amazing shoes, really. I'm probably going to buy a pair of the PTB (at full retail which pisses me off) based on what I've seen with these shortwings. Now I have to decide which RL store I should go (based on the indifference/rudeness of the sales associates at the SF store, the Michigan Ave store and the Madison Ave store, NY wins for the least indifferent sales people :slayer:).

Kashiwa

Reaction score
RL Tokyo (Omotesando) sales associates are also extremely indifferent, and that is a real rarity for Japan. I've always had the feeling that they hire the most beautiful people they can find, and train them to put on airs and exude indifference.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you find it more narrow?
More toe box taper than the barrie(r)?

RL Darltons shoes fit "snugger" out of the box in the same size than Barrie, if that makes sense. I also find that they "break in" more (though they do start out stiffer, as pointed out by Horsehide). FWIW I find the fit of the 10D RL Darlton shortwings and the 9.5D LeatherSouth black shortwings to be very similar.

When it comes to RL servicepeople, they can put off an indifferent air, but once they know you are serious, they treat you well. I posted a while back about a great experience I had at the Chicago store:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/294778/...he-ralph-lauren-store-in-chicago#post_5335235

HorseHide

Reaction score

When it comes to RL servicepeople, they can put off an indifferent air, but once they know you are serious, they treat you well. I posted a while back about a great experience I had at the Chicago store:

What's the world coming to when a New Yorker brags about the service he gets in Chicago and a Chicagoan brags about the service he gets in New York?

Before we get all carried away here, I still hate the Yankees.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RL is more narrow than the Barrie (toe box still has plenty of room). Not sure how much of this comes from the general stiffness of the shoe - these are real tanks and make the Aldens feel like sneakers out of the box.
Amazing shoes, really. I'm probably going to buy a pair of the PTB (at full retail which pisses me off) based on what I've seen with these shortwings. Now I have to decide which RL store I should go (based on the indifference/rudeness of the sales associates at the SF store, the Michigan Ave store and the Madison Ave store, NY wins for the least indifferent sales people
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
).
Did you size down from normal for the RL Shortwings? I have found the RL PTB to be slightly shorter and slightly narrower. Definitely is built of a different last. My advice is to make sure you try on the PTB first and not just go off the Shortwing sizing alone.

kippy

Reaction score

I wear a 9.5D on my Cigar LWB.  He has a pair of these black calfskin's in 9.5E. Is that going to be a REALLY huge difference width wise?  I really like them, but I don't want to dick around and waste $50/time shipping them back.

You might also consider the difference in the heel size in your decision. Alden uses a combination last, so you are going from B/D to C/E. That is from D to E in the width of the ball and from B to C in heel size width. So the heel will be somewhat larger/looser in the 9.5E vs. 9.5D. Not sure the exact difference in heel volume that would be. Perhaps someone else knows?

forsan

Reaction score
Another long time lurker here, finally decided to post.
I've pre-ordered the Context Roy boot due February and wanted another boot in the meantime to really wear in as a daily wearer.
I'm pretty picky, and I love Indy's, but I really prefer a plain toe. After seeing some surprisingly great photos of the J.Crew plain toe on here, I decided to pull the trigger; I figured with free in-store returns, it couldn't hurt.

I got the boots in today, and I actually really like them, but between ordering and delivery, I stumbled across the natural CXL plain toe on the Shoe Mart and really like those as well.
Considering I'm getting the Roy in February, should I hold onto the J.Crew boot or return them and pick up the natural CXL PTBoot?
On the upside, I can probably wear the J.Crew pair to work and the calfskin is a nice contrast to the brown CXL the Roy will have. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of chromexcel, but I've heard mixed things on natural CXL and how it ages and wears.

tl;dr keep J.Crew plain toe or swap out for natural chromexcel plain toe from Shoe Mart

Sorry for the phone photos, just wanted to get this up ASAP so I could get feedback and make a decision. First two are obviously indoor lighting, with the latter two in the driveway after work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads