1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

No, I was simply puzzled in the variance across the fits.

2. chanakit

chanakit Well-Known Member

i'm so curious which one the shoes shape are longer between Barries last 8D and Plaza last 8.5D

And then when i wear Alden in Barries last in size 8 D i feel it sightly bigger and the shoes shapes is longer so i have to buy another one in 7.5D or Normally, Alden shoes shape are longer than another brand.

Thank you.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The Barrie is very big. My 10.5 Barrie PTBs are just slightly longer than my 11 Plaza cap toes. But just ever so slightly.

4. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

I would agree. It is slightly darker than some other ravello shoes I have purchased in the past. This has more browns than reds.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks! they were purchased from BB years ago when they also carried the Alden Grant last lw. dunno where to find them now

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    #8 lhs
    [​IMG]

7. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Looking good Uncle. Lined or unlined?

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Looks like unlined, no tongue stitching.

9. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

[​IMG]

Ordered these yesterday from TSM. They're on the Barrie last. It's my experiment to see if the Barrie last will work for me. I've got a pair of natural CXL boots on the Modified last and they fit me really well. Also have a pair of Indy 405's on the Trubalance which I bought impetuously and they don't fit me well so I'm going to have to unload them. I'm hoping the Barrie will work for me as it seems there is a lot more variety out there to choose from in the Barrie, especially in shell.

I really like how the Modified last fits but am not too crazy about how some of the boots look on that last on the Moulded Shoe site. The cap toes on the ML make the toe cap seem way too small and the boot looks kind of bulbous. For some reason, the suede boots (wingtip and cap toe) on the ML look sleeker and not bulbous as the ones in calf or shell. Go figure.

I'm interested if anyone has gone through a similar experience with these lasts.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

You'll find the Barrie lasted boots more to your liking. The toe box still has plenty as room, but it's not as bulky as the Truebalance last. And, yes, the Barrie is a common last for PTBs, wingtips, chukkas, etc. So you'll find plenty of variety.

As a new Modified last owner, I will tell you the Modified is not bulbous. Not at all. The photos seem to exaggerate the toe box vis-à-vis the curvature of the outsole at the instep. I went hands on with various models at Moulded Shoe. The only one that looked odd to me was the medallion cap toe. Otherwise, they were all very pleasing to the eye.

On that note, I'm going over to the Modified last thread to propose a Kudu Indy on the Modified (if it is to be had). Feel free to join me.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you
    unlined

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    unlined

13. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Would you wear those with a suit? In the winter, with poor weather?

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks, PhiPsi32, for the input. I am hoping the Barrie will work for me. Your hands-on experience with the various ML shoes/boots is good news as I know the Modified last does work for me. I might take a chance on an ML boot from Moulded. And I am definitely interested in an Indy boot on the Modified last.
    I would definitely not wear these boots with a suit. The storm welt and the lighter sole edge dressing makes it too casual, imo. Mostly with jeans and maybe chinos. It doesn't rain much here so I'm usually not too concerned about the soles but these are the waterlock double soles so they should hold up well to some wetness.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.