• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is unlined, right? I have the LS version and I completely agree that it is sleeker than the stock PTB. I think the single flex sole goes a long way to changing the profile. I've found them to be extremely comfortable. The unlined shell has creased less dramatically on mine as well, though that may have to do with the sizing.
Is the photo your pair from Alden SF?
yes, mine are alden SF. they are lined but the single sole makes them feel very flexible

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wow. $39. amazing pickup.

thank you sir. these shoe are actually what started me down this dark. impoverishing path known as alden. it's seriously like a drug. the first hit was (essentially) free, but i've PAID man, i've PAID. with my money, my life, my SOUL.

where can you get a 39 dollar cordovan shoe? share it man

You could get a pair of say hanover or florsheim black cordovan longwings on a good day for about that.
There are just way way too many shoes for anybody to keep track of.
But Aldens, in good condition? They'd have to be mis-listed.

definitely not ebay. thrift/consignment/resale shop. once in a lifetime find. i actually found them back in 2009, and they looked to have been worn 5 times max, basically brand new. i wouldn't want to name-drop the spot publicly, in case it happens to be someone's go-to spot or something (it's not in my hometown, so i'd feel like a real jerk to blow up someone else's thrift store secrets).

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THIS AINT THE CONTENTEDNESS THREAD BOYO
I mean, great score!

onestar

Reaction score

Sun on the Tip of Daytripping

Leffot

Hey Leighlon, this is torture; I really love this boot.

I have the Daytrippers on order with Lefott which were originally sceduled for late fall. With the scarcity of Ravello they're still quoting "late fall" but won't specify which year. Have to be patient....

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just picked up my Aldens from the shop and am extremely pleased with the results. These are my 2 year old Alden for Unionmade Loden green ranger-moccs on the Van last. I thought I would get more wear out of them if I customized them a little so I took them to Pioneer Renewer in San Francisco who has a great reputation for doing good work. I had them replace the waterlock sole with a Vibram wedge and also had them put in the brass eyelets to add a little flavor. They did a great job and the whole thing cost $110 out the door. I definitely reccomend Pioneer Renewer.
32ff2c29.jpg

543218f5.jpg

e62ec00e.jpg

AWESOME. I went to a local old Italian cobbler and he said eyelets could not be added to my shell LWBs because the shoe was already lined...were these lined or is that a viable option at a place that has more capabilities? BNelson in particular. Nick, if you can answer this it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Leighlon

Reaction score
Cigars in the Office

Shoe: Unionmade Dover
Shine: Mac Method, Venetian Cream, 4years practice in the USMC

HorseHide

Reaction score

AWESOME. I went to a local old Italian cobbler and he said eyelets could not be added to my shell LWBs because the shoe was already lined...were these lined or is that a viable option at a place that has more capabilities? BNelson in particular. Nick, if you can answer this it would be appreciated. Thanks!

I bet the guy in Brighton Beach can do it!

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sure it could be done.....We do it all the time.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is unlined, right? I have the LS version and I completely agree that it is sleeker than the stock PTB. I think the single flex sole goes a long way to changing the profile. I've found them to be extremely comfortable. The unlined shell has creased less dramatically on mine as well, though that may have to do with the sizing.
Is the photo your pair from Alden SF?
Correction: they are indeed unlined. The heel counter is lined, but the forefoot of the shoe is totally unlined (i.e., green on the inside of the shoe).
What I was told by Alden SF re: creasing is that this shoe creases differently, rather than more than, the traditional version. Since the shoe flexes more with your foot, it develops a greater # of smaller creases, as opposed to the traditional (lined) version, which "breaks" more, resulting in fewer large creases.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Correction: they are indeed unlined.  The heel counter is lined, but the forefoot of the shoe is totally unlined (i.e., green on the inside of the shoe).
What I was told by Alden SF re: creasing is that this shoe creases differently, rather than more than, the traditional version.  Since the shoe flexes more with your foot, it develops a greater # of smaller creases, as opposed to the traditional (lined) version, which "breaks" more, resulting in fewer large creases. 

That pretty much describes my experience exactly. I'll put them on and post a photo soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads