1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Am I the only one who thinks that giant white/off-white sole is ugly?
    Nope. But then again, I think the upper is fugly too in a geriatric sort of way. Although it seems to work for me in the shoe version. Strange.

2. arrow

arrow Senior member

Sharing some Cigar Chukka love...

[​IMG]

3. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

nah i hate it too

4. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

this one?

[​IMG]

Yeah, we will be seeing versions of that boot popping up in different leathers and sole options. I think that Winn Perry has a version coming in Fall.

5. jasonfoote303

Sharing some Cigar Chukka love...

[​IMG]

Those look great! They get even better when the color starts fading too...

What denim is that? It's super hairy!!!

6. jasonfoote303

Nope.

But then again, I think the upper is fugly too in a geriatric sort of way.

Although it seems to work for me in the shoe version. Strange.

I'm not a big fan of it either. But people love Redwings!

7. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Nope.

Although it seems to work for me in the shoe version. Strange.

Not that strange, really. It's not a given that a successful shoe design will translate into a great boot, or vice-versa. I know some people like the indy shoe, but for me it falls flat, and has none of the charm of the boot.

8. slappy

slappy Senior member

Just received some indy boots from J.Crew purchased from their 15% off free shipping sale. The quality control on this pair is really pretty low. I have some pictures but its almost impossible to capture what Im talking about. [​IMG] [​IMG] The pictures above are trying to show that there is a gouging of the 'wood' (not actually sure its wood) there. The finish has been ripped off and the inside of the wood is exposed and has been damaged beyond that. It's a small area but is noticeable when looking at it while wearing it. [​IMG] This is a minor issue, but just annoying. I shouldnt have scuff marks like this on a new boot. I mean it seems unreasonable to buy a boot, then immediately have to oil and polish out scuff marks. The main thing is the first two pictures, which as I said is impossible to capture on film. I showed it to some friends who immediately pointed out the problem area so its not just me being touchy. I think Im going to return these to J.Crew but unfortunately they are out of Indy boots. I guess its shoemart time.

9. arrow

arrow Senior member

Those look great! They get even better when the color starts fading too...

What denim is that? It's super hairy!!!

Hey Jason... its the Sugar Cane Slack Denim

10. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

On those, for $400? Yes.

On Red Wing 875s, for $175. No.

875s look amazing after being beaten on. R.P. McMurphy wore them, for the luvva christ.

11. Johdus Fanfoozal

I'm not a big fan of it either. But people love Redwings!

I love me some GTs and to an extent Iron Rangers, but when I see other RWs I often run for the hills.

12. jet

jet Senior member

Can't wait for those boots to come out, need to see all sole options before copping.

13. Johdus Fanfoozal

Just received some indy boots from J.Crew purchased from their 15% off free shipping sale. The quality control on this pair is really pretty low. I have some pictures but its almost impossible to capture what Im talking about.

You didn't receive Indy boots from J. Crew.

You received Indy seconds from J. Crew

14. slappy

slappy Senior member

You didn't receive Indy boots from J. Crew.

You received Indy seconds from J. Crew

Ha I was thinking the same thing. J.Crew just seems like too large and reputable a company to pull something like that. Either way they are going back, however the tone of my email to them will be different.

15. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Yeah, we will be seeing versions of that boot popping up in different leathers and sole options. I think that Winn Perry has a version coming in Fall.
    Guess I still think that they'd look bad with that kind of sole in any color. I think this is the first Alden style I just think looks straight-up bad. I don't like NST on me, but NST on others I think looks great (see cigar chukkas a few posts up). I don't know, though. On these new boots, the upper looks fantastic, but the sole just kills it. I know others feel the same way about Alden's current crepe sole, which I love. Whatever. Different strokes. EDIT: It occurs to me that if you buy these direct through an Alden Store, they could probably put a different sole on for you. I know that the one on Madison Avenue will do that (probably for an upcharge, I'd imagine). I love the fact that there are no speed eyehooks. LOVE IT. Speed hooks look better on RWs than on Aldens.

16. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

Kinda around...was in Tokyo, now in HK. I don't think I have anything on the Hampton on the horizon. I did just put in an order for the Hampton plain toe. Jason, nice pickup. I actually bought a pair of those exact same shoes, just on the Tom last, back in 2004 from another dealer. Love loden green. [​IMG]
    A hampton plain toe would fill a gap in my line-up. I'll keep an eye on your site.

17. slappy

slappy Senior member

Eh Im going to just order a pair of Crockett Jones Conistons.

18. saracen

saracen Well-Known Member

I've decided to sell my basically brand new Alden Longwing Whiskey Shell shoes (12D). I tried a few more shoes in different sizes on and realized that these are a half size too large. I wore these literally for less than a couple of hours (one day). The rest of the time they sat at home while I pondered the size. I bought them from Epaulet just a couple of weeks ago (great folks there by the way). I can't post in the 'for sale' section yet, so apologize for posting here, but they'll go on ebay next. I paid $650 and am looking at sell for $600 (free shipping). Last image was taken with flash. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

On those, for $400? Yes.

On Red Wing 875s, for $175. No.

875s look amazing after being beaten on. R.P. McMurphy wore them, for the luvva christ.

I don't see what price has to do with ugly.

20. false

false Senior member

Just received some indy boots from J.Crew purchased from their 15% off free shipping sale. The quality control on this pair is really pretty low. I have some pictures but its almost impossible to capture what Im talking about. [​IMG] [​IMG] The pictures above are trying to show that there is a gouging of the 'wood' (not actually sure its wood) there. [​IMG] This is a minor issue, but just annoying. I shouldnt have scuff marks like this on a new boot. I mean it seems unreasonable to buy a boot, then immediately have to oil and polish out scuff marks.
    Someone more knowledgeable feel free to chime in but I think you're way off base. The welt on nearly all Indy's looks like this. They're work boots, not dress boots and the welt reflects this. I cant find the post but someone wrote a great quote about Alden factory line workers worrying that smooth welts would make them look like fairies. The scuff would be annoying but its honestly meaningless, you'll be putting your own scuffs in them in no time. Its also not wood...seriously. I have Indy's too btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.