***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Maiden voyage of some snuff suede unlined chukkas. This is my first time wearing the Leydon last and I must say I really enjoy it so far - I actually had to go up a half size AND one width from my Barrie size to get a proper fit, but it feels perfect on my feet now. Paired with some Epaulet French Blue chinos:

[​IMG]

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

4. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

Oh Christ, this looks like the unholy spawn of a Trickers/McNairy/Alden three-way. But yeah, it will probably sell out.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

It's perfectly permissible to pair bluchers with a suit, but the suit should reflect the fact that bluchers are less "city", so the suit in turn should be less formal. A tweed or donegal suit, for example, would pair well with a big ol' gunboat. A casual cotton suit in khaki would go very well with a ravello captoe blucher. I often wear a dark brown captoe blucher with my navy and charcoal suits, because I only have one pair of balmorals - that's not a style that tends to work with my orthotics.

On the other hand, it's currently somewhat in style to wear LWBs with slim-fitting city suits (the Thom Browne look), but this is really an exception rather than the rule.

I'm not sure what suit would pair well with the monstrosities shown above.

6. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

i like your cigars and argyles

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Meh. Bluchers are fine with regular "city" suits as well. Longwings, shortwings, etc. I will never hesitate to wear my cigar longwings with a navy or light grey suit. The LS Shortwings and the RL Darltons are awesome suit shoes.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

the problem is that shells are addictive

10. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

enjoy wearing in good health

12. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I laughed heartily at my desk.

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello nst chukkas
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

14. REguy

REguy Senior member

I couldn't resist posting about the NRO sale. I've had terrible experiences with them in the past, but this turned out well regardless of the utter stupidity (and I'll keep buying Aldens from them as long as they keep discounting them).

Anyway, I go to the main store here in Boston over the weekend and ask if they have a pair of chukkas in my size. The SA walks out, goes around the corner to their stockroom (which happens to be the same place they fulfill Internet orders), and comes back with the last pair they had. The box was beat up, but who cares. When I asked if I could apply the discount code, I was met with a resounding "NO!" They said the online department is completely separate, different inventory, etc. I said, "OK, what if I order them over my phone right now and you just let me take these?" Save the hassle and cost of shipping them just over the Charles, and everyone's happy. Again, "NO." I walk out sans shoes, but go home and order them.

I just received the same beat up box and shoes I handled in the mail today :facepalm:. To their credit, they didn't fumble the order, but I can't stand stuff like this. Although, once in a while, I do enjoy walking into places of sartorial sadism, like NRO or the Andover Shop, where the general vibe is, "The customer's always wrong." Sort of keeps me on my toes.

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Whoa, those look incredible. I noticed they have 6 eyelets as opposed to the ones at The Shoe Mart, with 5 eyelets.

Edit: I didn't realize these were chukkas, which explains 6 eyelets versus 5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.