1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JO3B

JO3B Senior Member

tom austin's closed. and Eric had nothing but sz 13's the last time i was there anyway.

2. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

I saw them about a month ago - I think they're great and I would have grabbed a pair but I have enough LWBs (sacrilege to some here I know) plus I have a pair of the Unionmade peeble grain make-ups (with the split toe and commando soles).

3. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

"hot Russian girls" that can drink you under the table. Is good!

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

What's the advantage of single leather soles over double (oak) leather soles (mainly for boots)? I tend to gravitate to the double leather soles because I prefer the more casual chunkier look. Is it mainly sleekness/formality and possibly flexibility that would make one pick a single leather sole? I ask because I notice that many of Moulded Shoes makeups are made with single leather soles.

5. Olifter

Olifter Senior Member

Hello everyone, I have been researching Alden shoes and found this site, glad I did, very interesting. I am hoping you can give me some advice.

I have four Aldens, all shell cordovan. Two are size 10 cap toes, one size 10.5 saddle, and one 10.5 wingtip. My problem is the wingtip. It is too big. The retailer put a pad under the tongue, which helps a little, I have tried various inserts, but they are not comfortable. The shoe just seems too big. I have had them for a year and probably have worn them 30 times.

I contacted Alden and there is nothing they can do.

I am ready to give up and order the same shoe in a 10. I am definitely sold on the brand.

My question is what do I do with the 10.5s. I am thinking about putting them on eBay but I have no idea what fair value would be. I know, a good deal is two satisfied parties, but I don't want to sell them for $100, I think I would for $200 or more. I could put the opening bid at $200, but I don't want to bother if that is not fair. They are in good shape, always in shoe trees, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any insight.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Flexibility, longevity, and aesthetics. Single leather soles are "dressier" and sleeker whereas double are sturdier. I believe both have their place. I think because Moulded Shoes cater to orthopedic wear, they want a variety of selections.

7. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

putting my indys to work trying to put up a swing set today. at 2pm i gave up...just way too hot in Joisey
    [​IMG]
    Tellason x ACL denim

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

nephew,
    good looking indy
    bermuda shorts would be more appropriate

9. meso

meso Distinguished Member

If the wingtips are in good shape and an interesting make they should go for over 200.

10. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Distinguished Member

As someone who has half of his family living on Brighton Beach, I can tell you the shoes are nothing to check out. However, old Russian cobblers are the best.

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Yea, I know about the South Shore...a buddy of mine used to live off of Capodano...you'd have to shoot me before moving me back to SI (I grew up there).

Try B&S over here. See what Aldens are going for and price accordingly. No fees like eBay.

Damn bro, you're a brave man out on boots and jeans on a day like today...I barely had a shirt on most of the day...

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

So in other words, BOY shoes? :)

13. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

Modified last.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

Welcome.

If your wingtip is a longwing - it is on the Barrie last. Your captoes will be on a different last (most likely Aberdeen last; basically a guarantee they are on a non-Barrie last). You may very well need a 9.5 in the longwing if 10 is your usual size. You should be able to find good advice by running a few searches on SF for information on how the various Alden lasts fit. While there is certainly room for disagreement over how the various lasts fit, or should fit, most Alden fans would advise that you size 1/2 size down when going from your usual size to a Barrie lasted shoe.

15. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Distinguished Member

LOL. i actually walked by the same shop today on the way to the beach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.