1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

i've had a retailer offer me 25% off my next pair for similar damage, should i choose to keep them, which i did. or they would have allowed me to return them.

2. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Has anyone else noticed that the Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar LWBs have been removed from the Alden-of-Carmel page?

3. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

[​IMG]

Old picture of my medallion tips. These are soon headed to BNelson for a JR resole with natural edge, I am considering the JR soles and Topys with the recessed metal toe plate. Suggestions regarding JR + Topy?

1 person likes this.
  4. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Very nice patina on those shoes. B Nelson can do a Vibram with recessed plate that looks pleasing. Check this AAAC post.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...2376-Euoropean-metal-toe-peices-now-available

1 person likes this.
  5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking good in your cap toe boot

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Agreed, these are $700 boots. This kind of stuff really ticks me off, even when it happens to someone else.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    i would sent back

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

jr soles are the best

1 person likes this.
  9. 1wb

1wb Senior member

Sorry, I am going to weigh in on the other side from what's been said above. It's unfortunate that such a beautiful pair of boots arrived with that scratch, but it's really a minor surface scuff. From the photo, it looks like it is just the wax on the surface of the shoe and will be almost gone with five minutes of brushing.

If you don't feel like you want to keep them with the scratch, however, then just return them. Personally, I would not ask the retailer for a price adjustment because of it -- nor do I think the retailer should give you one. It looks like a scratch caused by one of the little brass bobbles that come on the dust bags, and easily could have happened during shipping (and thus could not have been seen by the retailer before shipping).

10. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Would you topy them too Uncle Mac? or maybe Double sole? I've seen pics where you've done that with natural sole edge on some of your shells.

11. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

retailer troll!! :)

12. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Those look great. I'm not brave enough to wear my shell in less than perfect weather.

13. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Not sure I agree [with the previous post]. That scratch may not be that easy to remove. Even if one does not expect the retailer to find the scratch, the retailer should accept that a request for a refund or an exchange is certainly reasonable. Even if the little brass bobble caused the scratch, why should the consumer have to accept the manufacturer's poor planning and packaging? If you're paying $700+ for a pair of shoes, there's no way you should be expected to bite the bullet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  14. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

+1

15. wj4

wj4 Senior member

+2. I'm far from being picky. A minor scuff here or there is fine. I don't expect my shoes to come 100% flawless, but even that would bother me. If you're paying good money for shoes and/or boots that should last for years if not decades, you should be happy with the product.

16. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The waterloc soles are designed to keep water from getting into the pores of the leather, which (1) extends the life of the leather sole, and (2) keeps your feet dry. They are better suited for wet conditions than regular leather soles. My ravello LWBs from Alden DC have the double waterloc, and, if it would have been possible, I would have probably gotten all my LWBs on double waterloc. Based on my experience, I would also say double waterloc (vs. standard double leather) makes the shoe slightly more comfortable out of the box.

1 person likes this.
  17. sevenfoldtieguy

I already have the brown shell AE Strand, and Alden's Hampton last (this model's last) is not my favorite - so I have opted not to get this model; however, having said that, these shoes are very nice looking. Get the JR soles and nothing else. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  18. sevenfoldtieguy

Exchange for another pair in your size. If that is not possible, ask the retailer to send them to the factory for buffing and "repair." If that doesn't work, get a refund.

19. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Absolutely gorgeous. Were they a special order or a stock item. If a special order how long did you have to wait?

20. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Exactly, and in the elusive Ravello SWB! Better man than I! Looking real sharp though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.