***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpc9

jpc9 Senior member

Gnatty, are those the plain toe modified boots from last year? If so, the nat cxl is aging beautifully.

2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Re: explaining new shoes to wives, that is way too funny, hahaha. I'm sure those exchanges hit close to home for all of us. I was just talking to my wife about it, and she told me I don't do a good enough job explaining the difference between a pair of shoes I already have and the new pair. She doesn't know much about men's shoes, so I guess they all look kinda the same to her. Next time I get a new pair, I'm gonna do a live side-by-side comparison with a similar pair and run through all the differences in great detail :p

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Funny. I've received a comment in the recent past somewhat similar to the bolded portion. I was showing my daughter two Alden color 8 models - one a captoe blucher (not new); one a captoe balmoral (fairly new) - and was giving her a tutorial on the differences between the two. My wife overhears me, gives things a closer look, and says "those are two different shoes?" :D

4. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Ha ha ha, love this.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

lol, I cheated, that picture was earlier this spring. I haven't worn boots in over a month, and even when I am on 2 wheels, wear Vans, not boots..

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Those are the ones, yes.

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

What you need to go is get a wife who appreciates shoes like this:

http://thelook.today.msnbc.msn.com/...or-allegedly-hiding-1-million-collection?lite

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  8. jslade

jslade Senior member

I'm thinking about putting up a pair of shell cordovan (black) captoes in the Aberdeen last for sale (9.5D). I'll price these competitively for used Aldens, but I'm a student, so not looking to get ripped off. :D

If anybody is interested, please let me know.

9. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Going to chime in here to say all this is true for me as well. I'm wondering if I can't take advantage of the fact that my wife doesn't really see a difference between most of the shoes I have to say "No, these are the same shoes." Maybe I can convince her I only have one pair. Of course, then I'd probably feel bad. We'll see what she says when some green shell (not Alden of course) I'm waiting on shows up. I'm going to guess here, and my guess is that at best she'll say: "That's nice."

:)

10. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior member

Green shell from Rancourt? That is such a sexy piece of footwear.

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I decided to place an order last night for the cigar LHS and just got an email saying "The shoes you selected are approximately 14 weeks from shipment. Please let us know how you wish to proceed." I might be willing to wait, though since I'm not 100% on my size*, this could be a long time to wait to find out that I have the wrong size. I'm pretty sure the #8s are available immediately. Hmm...

* I'm a perfect 11.5 D on the AE 5 last. I have tried on an 11 D LHS, and they were pretty comfortable overall, but had some serious heel slippage. I figured 10.5 D or E would be the next best size to try. NRO only has D for cigar LHS (they have D and E for #8), so I went with D.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  12. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I'm an 11E on the 5-last and a 10.5D in the Barrie. Your mileage may vary.

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I know the lasts are similar, but LHS is on the Van last. Also, it's (obviously) a loafer, which some people say can require a slightly tighter fit to ensure no heel slip, etc. Thoughts?

14. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

My apologies - you wrote LHS but my mind went to LWB. I'm not familiar with Van last sizing and that's part of why I don't own a pair of LHS.

15. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

i think whiskey LWB lwb are now officially next up in the queue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.