***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Cordovan is said to stretch very little, if at all. However, Aldens have a 1/4" layer of cork in the insole, so your foot will sink in to that allowing for more room as they break in. Also, while the cordovan doesn't really stretch, the upper will form to your foot as you wear them, so that will aleviate some of the tightness across the vamp. I would say if they are very tight off the bat, they don't fit. If they are only very slightly tight, you probably have the right size.

Also, the first stitch connecting the tounge to the side of the upper on both of my pairs seems to have broken or loosened, so maybe that has something to do with it. However I think that has more to do with the sole and upper still being stiff when I began walking in them, and not that they were the improper fit. Let me see if i can figure out how to insert a pic of what I am describing from my album...

Also, some may find that the van last or this model doesn't work for them at all in any size do to a high instep.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

2. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

my only experience with leydon is their unlined chukkas, and they just felt tighter all over. Aberdeen is a last that i tried multiple sizes and widths and could never get to work right for my feet, but overall i'd say leydon just felt tighter all over than aberdeen. my only issue with the aberdeen was the narrow toebox and weird wide heel.

3. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I wear the same size in thew van and the barrie, I find the Van a tad more tight.

4. SenorChang

SenorChang Senior member

Agreed.

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thanks for the responses. Tighter in what aspect? Toe? Heel? Vamp?

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Really annoyed I slept on the Black Shortwings from LS. If anyone is thinking they may not like their's in a 9D, hit me up. Last mention, promise...

+1 on Tom and Ken and the gang being stand up fellas...

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Interesting the love for the black shortwing.

Have a pair of AE's that I'd gotten a few years ago yet always discounted - felt a black cap/medallion toe was the only way to go for a black shoe.

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

A black captoe (probably in calfskin) is one of the first shoes anyone should buy, but black wingtips are also great additions. I think that the shortwing pattern lends itself to black a bit better than the longwing (though the black longwings I have seen posted here look good). In many ways it's more of a Men's Clothing shoe vs a Streetwear and Denim shoe, but you can find ways to wear them casually too. I was in the market for black longwings later this fall, but I had to jump on these when they appeared, so I won't be needing the black longwings anymore.

9. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

The black short wings are definitely more appropriate with a suit. I think of Aldens as more casual or biz casual shoes.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Alden has numerous models in black shell that are wonderful for professional business attire, not the least of which are the perforated captoe balmoral or the straight tip captoe balmoral. For those who buy Aldens for casual wear only, I can see why, for the most part, they may shy away from black shell (opting instead for the uniqueness of one of the exotic colors, for example). But for those of us who buy Aldens for business attire and for casual wear, black shell is not only an option, but, in my judgment, is at the top of the list. Nothing shines like black shell. :nodding:

11. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

What size Alden shoe trees should I get for the following:
    7.5D Barrie
    8D Aberdeen

12. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

The perf captoe bal on hampton is a gorgeous dress shoe. wear mine with a suit all the time.

13. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Tighter, though slightly, across all those dimensions. In the loafer, I tend to feel it most in the vamp, but the length/width is also a tad smaller. I wear the same size in both Barrie and Van, but Van isn't quite so different as to warrant a different size.

Medium

14. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

D is for duh, medium.

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

That's a pretty lame answer. Someone who wears a size 13D would certainly not buy medium size shoe trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.