• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

closerlook

Reaction score
Hey, I guess I got held for moderation and nobody saw this post because it took so long to show up. Hope it's kosher that I re-post in the hopes of getting the benefit of some of the incredible experience found amongst the contributors to this forum

Hey all,

So I took my brand new #8 LWBs out for their first sunny day of wear yesterday and in the sunlight I saw that what appeared to be some minor color variation was quite a bit worse than I had imagined.

I've buffed my heart out but this doesn't seem to be a smear of polish or anything sitting at the surface. .What do you all think I'm looking at here and what should I do about it? I'm brand new to the world of shell but from what I've been able to find online, shell isn't likely to be impacted very much by polishes and other treatments I can do on my own. Considering how much these shoes set me back, I'm a bit disappointed and wary about making sure I get these taken care of now so that I'm not kicking myself down the road. I contacted Alden and they referred me to the retailer. I bought them from NRO and they have proved to be somewhat less than accessible.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Additional question: When Alden does deem something like this a defect, are they likely to apply a temporary fix, a permanent fix, or a replacement? 

Thanks again!

I had the same issue and i was told the they will be stripped and redyed at the factory.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the versatility of #8. on a related note, do you guys ever wear #8 with black pants? (please don't turn this into a "do not wear black pants" debate).

I wear #8 with black jeans. But then again, I wear light-brown shoes with black jeans. Either are better options than black shoes with black IMO.

neutrino

Reaction score
wow, thanks for all the responses re #8, guys. I'm kinda dancing around the itching desire for the first shell (natural CXL longwings from Epaulet is all I've got for now). Probably gonna give in later this year (hopefully before the prices go up, ha).

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 on the versatility of #8. on a related note, do you guys ever wear #8 with black pants? (please don't turn this into a "do not wear black pants" debate).

Personally I wear #8 longwings mainly with worn jeans and light-colored chinos because I like the contrast in texture and color.
I only got mine a few months ago and they have been pretty indispensable.... I wear them at least once a week.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(looks down at today's pant/shoe combo)
shog[1].gif
rotflmao.gif

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd agree that #8 is an amazingly versatile color. You can't really go wrong with it.

Apply the mac method after every wear, and your shoes will be looking great for years.

And Mexicutioner... how dare you bring black pants into this thread :happy:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd agree that #8 is an amazingly versatile color. You can't really go wrong with it.
Apply the mac method after every wear, and your shoes will be looking great for years.
And Mexicutioner... how dare you bring black pants into this thread :happy:

Wearing my #8 PTBs that had commando soles added by Alden restoration before the change in policy. Picked these up on eBay last year. I'm lazy when it comes to the mac method so I wipe them down with a damp cloth but then only brush for less than a minute. Occasionally I'll use Saphir Reno and/or deer bone as well. Then it's trees, bags and stored in the box.

photodcx.jpg

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Color 8 longwing was my first Alden - even as I added rare colors, I continued wearing the longwing to the point that I am getting the soles replaced now. Color 8 gets a lot of wear because it goes with everything ranging from from very dark grey slacks to tan chinos to all shades of denim

are you going to do a total restoration?

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do wear #8 with black slacks quite often.
Black suits call for black shoes, however.
And unless your name is Slash or Nikki, you have no business wearing black jeans.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing my #8 PTBs that had commando soles added by Alden restoration before the change in policy. Picked these up on eBay last year. I'm lazy when it comes to the mac method so I wipe them down with a damp cloth but then only brush for less than a minute. Occasionally I'll use Saphir Reno and/or deer bone as well. Then it's trees, bags and stored in the box.
photodcx.jpg

I often tell myself that i dont need #8 PTBs, and then someone drops a bomb like this.

Those look beauiful.

Last edited:

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yup. as much as i like longwings and wingtip boots, i'm starting to feel that plain toes show off the color variations in the cordovan more. with wingtips, there's so much going on visually that you don't really get to appreciate the cordovan itself.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As usual, excuse the lousy camera-phone.

PTB's on a typical dreary PDX morning.

Love the eggplant colour these babies are starting to develop.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

are you going to do a total restoration?

I am debating whether I should do a restoration with Alden or just take the shoes to B Nelson for a resole.

My main concern with sending the shoes to Alden is that I don't want the shoe redyed. I have seen other posters here send shoes to Alden requesting only a resole (and I guess a relasting), but they received back a shoe that was redyed as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads