Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you
    just follow the method

2. mothball

mothball Senior member

I don't have a huge lineup, but I probably wear #8 more than any other color.

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking very good, enjoy wearing

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Will do, however I suspect that you may have been blessed with a finer specimen than I.

6. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior member

How often do you do the method? After every wear?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I only have 3 pairs of shells (so far), which is plenty to some, but not many compared to others on this thread. Black, #8, Cigar. I find that I wear all of them equally as often, because I like to let them rest after enjoying them. However, it is my calfskin that gets neglected, now that I have experienced the joy of shell.

8. sazon

sazon Senior member

Kippy: those Cigar LWBs with the light edge trim are gorgeous.
    Mine have the dark trim and the light edge really makes the shoe a whole another beast.

9. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Wanted to share this with you guys...I bought my dad a pair of Indy boots for Father's day. I'd never really bought him anything more than probably $50 as a gift, but the last year has been good for me financially and he's done a lot to help me (moving, minor renovation stuff at my new place, etc). I wanted to get him something that he'd get a LOT of use out of and would last him a long time. So, with some input from my girlfriend, I decided to get my dad a pair of Indy boots (just the basic ones from JCrew).

I sent him this email this morning:
    His reply:
    My dad is 65 and has spent the majority of his life on his feet. He was in the military for over a quarter century, drafted into Vietnam and retired after Desert Storm. He worked as a mechanic after that and only transitioned into his current non-physical role about 7 years ago. He's worn just about every work boot and military boot out there, so for him to give such a glowing review means a lot.

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

i do the method after each wearing

11. bearspoke

bearspoke Active Member

Hey, I guess I got held for moderation and nobody saw this post because it took so long to show up. Hope it's kosher that I re-post in the hopes of getting the benefit of some of the incredible experience found amongst the contributors to this forum

Additional question: When Alden does deem something like this a defect, are they likely to apply a temporary fix, a permanent fix, or a replacement?

Thanks again!

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you for sharing

13. 0waterbouys

0waterbouys Senior member

His reply:
    I have 5 pairs of shell, #8, x2 ravello, cigar, and whiskey. I say they all see about equal wear and I don't neglect any of them really. I try to use a rotation based system and wear a different pair for every day of the work week. I use the shoes as the base or focal point of all my outfits and thus never run into a point where the shoes don't work with the rest of what I'm wearing. Plus, it allows me to wear all my shell, all the time [​IMG]
    Thank you Mac.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Color 8 longwing was my first Alden - even as I added rare colors, I continued wearing the longwing to the point that I am getting the soles replaced now. Color 8 gets a lot of wear because it goes with everything ranging from from very dark grey slacks to tan chinos to all shades of denim

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

+1 on the versatility of #8. on a related note, do you guys ever wear #8 with black pants? (please don't turn this into a "do not wear black pants" debate).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.