***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoejohn

shoejohn Senior member

crossposted in MC:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are these the J Crew's? I love them!!! When the time is right, this will be my first alden purchase!

2. Reginald Bartholomew

Reginald Bartholomew Senior member

Is there any place to buy Aldens in Vancouver?

3. Cid

Cid Senior member

Can anyone recommend a good source for the unlined chukka with flex welt (#1494) besides shoemart? I sent my 11.5Ds back hoping to exchange for 12Ds... got a note saying it will be 3 more months before they have any, so they just refunded me.

Tom, do you plan a resupply of the #1494 on Barrie last (size 11D)?

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Are these the J Crew's? I love them!!! When the time is right, this will be my first alden purchase!

Those are them.. You'll like em'

5. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Quick cleaning/polish question for Alden Indy 403

To clean them up is it ok to use Meltonian Cleaner. What other suggestions do people have.

I know that eventually I will need to polish them and to be careful of the white stitching. What polish should I use? Would Kiwi brown be ok?

Thanks.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Quick cleaning/polish question for Alden Indy 403

To clean them up is it ok to use Meltonian Cleaner. What other suggestions do people have.

I know that eventually I will need to polish them and to be careful of the white stitching. What polish should I use? Would Kiwi brown be ok?

Thanks.

I would not use Kiwi on the 403s. Find a neutral shoe cream. If you use polish, no matter how careful you are, you'll discolor the stitching.

7. mikesduc

mikesduc Senior member

Don't be too worried about the stitching. I've gotten sloppy before with the polish and in a drunken state one time I used a baby wipe(for those without kids look in the diaper aisle) and cleaned the stitches to a nice glowing white. Since then I have polished with reckless abandon. I use kiwi cordovan wax to darken the leather.

8. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Those are them.. You'll like em'

Your J.Crew longwings are so nice that I sometimes almost regret my Winn Perry purchase. If only I lived in the States, they would be mine already. It is very easy to deal with small businesses for special customs instructions, which is impossible to request from a state-wide store such as J.Crew or Brooks Brothers.

Gnatty8, there is something I cannot understand. As far as I know you also pre-ordered Winn Perry longwings. May I ask the reason for that, given that you already have J.Crew longwings, which are also calfskin and have quite the same color and shade?

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Don't be too worried about the stitching. I've gotten sloppy before with the polish and in a drunken state one time I used a baby wipe(for those without kids look in the diaper aisle) and cleaned the stitches to a nice glowing white. Since then I have polished with reckless abandon. I use kiwi cordovan wax to darken the leather.

I am surprised. I have a pair of 405s in my garage that I wear when it's raining precisely because I tried to use brown polish carefully, and colored the stitching. If OP is really concerned, he should just use neutral polish.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Your J.Crew longwings are so nice that I sometimes almost regret my Winn Perry purchase. If only I lived in the States, they would be mine already. It is very easy to deal with small businesses for special customs instructions, which is impossible to request from a state-wide store such as J.Crew or Brooks Brothers.

Gnatty8, there is something I cannot understand. As far as I know you also pre-ordered Winn Perry longwings. May I ask the reason for that, given that you already have J.Crew longwings, which are also calfskin and have quite the same color and shade?

Good question and the best and only answer I have is the WP sole seems like it would be a better choice in the rain. Probably a dumb reason to drop another $400+ on shoes, but I am sure they'll get a good amount of wear. Still waiting on those BTW, IIRC, the ship date is in April..

11. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Is Kiwi neutral a good polish to use?

12. Flowah

Flowah New Member

To the best of my knowledge, only theshoemart and shermanbrothers sell shortwing bluchers, but in Aberdeen last, which is a regular stock model: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html I will appreciate if someone knows any other shortwing blucher model, regardless of last.
    Do you know how reliable The Shoe Mart is to buy from? I've been looking at their Alden 404, which the site seems to say is fully stocked. However, I've read a bunch of reviews of the site that say that often they will claim to have sizes in stock, only to charge you, then send you an e-mail about how it's actually backordered and then you wait around for weeks on end. I've sent them an e-mail, but they aren't very talkative. They reply with terse one word answers to questions that aren't one word answer questions. If anyone has had experiences with ShoeMart, good or bad, please let me know!

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Do you know how reliable The Shoe Mart is to buy from? I've been looking at their Alden 404, which the site seems to say is fully stocked. However, I've read a bunch of reviews of the site that say that often they will claim to have sizes in stock, only to charge you, then send you an e-mail about how it's actually backordered and then you wait around for weeks on end.

I've sent them an e-mail, but they aren't very talkative. They reply with terse one word answers to questions that aren't one word answer questions.

If anyone has had experiences with ShoeMart, good or bad, please let me know!

I love shoemart and have not had any problems dealing with them. They have not charged me until shipped. If you are uncertain just pick up the phone and call them.

I have a feeling these are not email people. I always call.

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

These look sweet

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...et-West/Detail

I wear a 10.5 E in a standard US dress shoe. Any idea if sizing up to 11 would be OK for these (looks like 10.5 isn't available)

I wouldn't. The Leydon last is fairly narrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.