• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far, I have only one pair of shell and one pair of chrome excel boots. I've found that on the shell and chromexcel boots, if I get a scuff or light scratch, I can pretty much just rub the scuff or scratch with my finger or a cloth and the scuff/scratch is gone. But with calfskin, you have to pretty much use some conditioner or polish to remove them. Is this because of all the oils, etc. that are embedded in the shell and chromexcel leathers? That just rubbing them brings out the embedded oils to remove the scuffs/scratches?

Is chromexcel leather mostly for casual/work type boots/shoes? Because if the above is true and chromexcel can be used for dressier shoes as well, then should my preference be to buy shell (first of course) and chromexcel first before calfskin?

Just have to say that I have learned so much about Alden shoes from everyone here and I appreciate the time people take to help each other out. But I think I also have all of you to blame for my increasing addiction to Alden's and shell cordovan!

kippy

Reaction score

Yep, but they dont use it nor recommend it like they do Venetian.
People seem to think Saphir Reno is the bees knees but as i said above, it's mostly hype and marketing.
Saphir is In fact worse in most respects-ie., how well it shines shell, what it costs, and where it's made.

"How well it shines" is highly subjective. This is not to say Venetian does not do a nice job. They both do, but even after many comparisons, I have only seen subtle differences.

With regards to Saphir being "worse" because of where it's made, I appreciate American-made brands as well and it is part of the reason I buy Alden, but lets be clear that Saphir is not made in China, but produced in France. Last I checked, no one was throwing themselves off a balcony because their shoe care product was produced in France of all places. That's not worse, George Washington, that's just different. Worse would be appropriate if it they produced Saphir using Chinese slaves on Apple production lines.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Whiskey chukkas on Friday. Just getting around to posting a photo.
Nice! Just got a pair myself, from Alden NY, a few weeks ago. Much more structure and shape than the suede versions, and looks like a PTB when you're wearing pants (which is, hopefully, always).

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, gents.

Nice! Just got a pair myself, from Alden NY, a few weeks ago.  Much more structure and shape than the suede versions, and looks like a PTB when you're wearing pants (which is, hopefully, always).

These are from Alden NY as well. I like them more as I wear them more. I haven't tried wearing them with shorts yet...

Beautiful. Love the Whiskey. Love the Chukka. I am 6 months in on a 12-18 month wait for a pair from Alden Madison Ave.

You will definitely enjoy your pair when they arrive. I hope it is sooner rather than later.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore my Whiskey chukkas on Friday. Just getting around to posting a photo.

These are excellent. I know people love Indys here but I wear my whiskey chukkas a lot more than I wear the Indys

Cordovan chukkas are awesome

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"How well it shines" is highly subjective. This is not to say Venetian does not do a nice job. They both do, but even after many comparisons, I have only seen subtle differences.
With regards to Saphir being "worse" because of where it's made, I appreciate American-made brands as well and it is part of the reason I buy Alden, but lets be clear that Saphir is not made in China, but produced in France. Last I checked, no one was throwing themselves off a balcony because their shoe care product was produced in France of all places. That's not worse, George Washington, that's just different. Worse would be appropriate if it they produced Saphir using Chinese slaves on Apple production lines.

You're missing the point.

Saphir is not made in the USA and has no American heritage like Aldens. Venetian Shoe cream does.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saphir is not made in the USA and has no American heritage like Aldens. Venetian Shoe cream does.

you're just restating the facts. venetian is made in the USA and has a heritage of being made in the USA. why does that matter?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
USA! USA! They're taking our jobs! USA! USA!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If that's the breaking point for you, then by all means...

:facepalm:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

:confused:
The horses aren't even American horses.

HorseHide

Reaction score

I really don't have a dog in this fight, but give me Chinese slaves over the French any day. :stirpot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads