1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Yes, both are D. Ralph Lauren is a 10D, Alden is a 9.5D, they are essentially the same length

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

In fact, I dug up an old e-mail between Adam and myself.

Me:

Adam,

Thanks for the reply.

I have had some misfortune with Alden shoes in the past, especially with shell cordovan leather completely mismatching from left to right shoe. What guarantee do you offer against such things?

I should note that this has happened with reputable sellers.

Adam's reply:

In that case, we recommend you try to purchase the shoes in a shop where you can look at the shoes yourself before purchase.

If you can't do that, then secondarily, we recommend purchasing the shoes from a retailer that is willing to issue you a refund if you are not satisfied with the shoes. I believe there are several large sellers of Alden shoes that allow returning of the shoes for a refund.

This should protect you against future misfortune.
    -------------------

So... does this sound reasonable? :embar:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Look, I've seen basically every Alden retailer bashed on this board. LeatherSoul, Leffot, Alden, JCrew, whatever. These stores can't please everyone. I have had great service from AoC and will probably buy some boots from them in the future. At least AoC is clear about their return policies. Also, they typically dont let bad shoes out of their shop - they label bad share as irregulars. I you dont like them, don't shop there, it just leaves more pairs for other people

4. closerlook

closerlook Senior Member

but sadly they aren't always

5. closerlook

closerlook Senior Member

Alcibiades,
    those are awesome

i almost got a pair but didn't
    now i regret it

6. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

Yes. Unless you feel he owes you something? He has given you the advice that he thinks would be best for you. Could you tell me exactly what is unreasonable about that?

7. Mr. Moo

It's the worst return policy among online Alden retailers. The shoes I was referencing in my e-mail, if they came from AofC, would be unwearable and also un-returnable. That is reasonable? What if I had not written and asked and had simply ordered, and received a fudged pair?

8. Ahab

OK, So you think it is the worst return policy among online Alden retailers. Does that mean that it is unreasonable?
    I guess that would depend entirely on what the exact problem and how you treated the shoes while you had them.

What happens if he had a Princess Moo return policy and he sent you a pair of shoes that was fudged up by someone else?

9. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior Member

What exactly is the return policy?

10. Ahab

Return policy: Shoes/boots may be sent back for exchange within 10 days of delivery date. No refunds. To exchange, shoes/boots must be in same condition as received, with no signs of try-on.

Which is weird that people keep talking about mismatched coloring on the shoes. It is a straw man argument but they will not give us a valid argument.

11. Mr. Moo

Exchange only policy on shell shoes that take 2 years to make and come in limited sizes = you either keep your crappy pair or wait two years for another. Good stuff.

It would have been nice if Adam from AofC said "I'll check the pairs and send you a pic as well to make sure you're satisfied before I ship them out."

That is great customer service. Saying "meh, go somewhere else" is not.

12. Ahab

I get it. You know the exchange policy and you do not like it. Does that mean it is unreasonable? Is everything you do not like unreasonable?

13. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Perhaps he read about the deerskin bags incident.

14. MaBal

MaBal Active Member

This is not always the case. I personally don't think its fair that you expect every shoe to have a just off the factory finish. This is not to say it is okay for a retailer to send a pair of shoes with signs of wear on the sole and what not but you would be surprised how many times shoes you buy have been tried on, returned, handled, etc. The price is not really the point. I just bought a pair of $900 Margiela shoes that I could tell have been tried on and have some small crease lines on the upper but you won't be able to pry them from my dead hands I love them so much. You can expect that from a pair of $50 loafers to $4,500 captoes. They are shoes and once you wear the first time for longer then a few hours you should get some signs of wear no matter how careful. But I do understand you wanting to have a factory finish pair that hasn't been touched but sometimes it just isn't possible.

15. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moar pics…less rancor. I don't care where you buy your Alden's from just buy 'em & post pics. Have a great weekend & everyone lighten up a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.