***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Senior member

I called the Alden Madison shop today and apparently Whiskey is now in extremely short supply - more so then before. Some outstanding orders are being cancelled due to lack of raw material.

I am going to head to Costco right now and buy a 10-year supply of Cordovan shoes to prepare for the nuclear winter that is exotic cordovan supply for the next 6-12 months.

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I almost never see Aldens in Ohio... but did see a well-dressed gentleman in a sub shop about a year ago, wearing whiskey shell PTBs. I do frequently see them in airports.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Personally, I find that Alden of Carmel's return policy is purchase-prohibitive.

4. Junebug9122

Junebug9122 Member

Isn't it though? You would think they'd understand one of the basic tenets of retail: making the transaction easier by offering a *real* return policy. Even an exceptionally onerous one that returns your cash is preferable to store credit. I'm almost to the point of ordering some LWBs from jcrew in an 11 just to verify the fit, and then returning them. I'd feel bad, but its jcrew, and my twenties were a blur of serially overpaying both them and BR for clothing of middling quality, so I feel like I have some sucker credits, so to speak.

5. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

you can do that if you have high volume (jcrew, shoe mart), but smaller retailers with high end goods will get killed offering those types of return policies.

6. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

i wore my navy suede lwbs last weekend and took my brother to alden sf since he was in town to visit. nice store with a decent selection of alden staples. not much shell selection except black and #8. they did have a nice cigar captoe (i think it was on the aberdeen last), but very limited sizes remaining. the sales guys were really helpful and comped my brother a brush with the #8 lwbs he bought.

[​IMG]

these are perfect to wear sockless on warm summer days. i even wear them with shorts on the weekend. :slayer:

most engineers in silicon valley dress poorly, like they are still in college. it's pretty rare to see anyone wearing aldens around here.

i'm still waiting it out for my epaulet ravello brixton boots. totally gonna be worth it though.

7. Junebug9122

Junebug9122 Member

I disagree. Anyone who would pay close to $700 for shoes is going to be meticulous in habit and deliberate in action. Its unlikely that a large proportion of such buyers would return items in a non-resellable state. And if they do so, it would then be reasonable to either refuse the return, charge them a return fee or simply return store credit.

We have all likely done the carpet shuffle in careful attempt to verify the fit and not break the last for fear of drawing shoemart's ire.

In fact, its quite possible that the reason shoe mart has such volume and far outpaces retailers like alden of carmel, is their (relatively) reasonable return policy.

I would further add that Alden seems to be doing their very loyal customers a disservice by not facilitating a more reasonable return policy from their authorized resellers. If you sell a product in only major cities, and then in very limited supply where it is sold, it would behoove you provide better service.

But I suppose you can afford to be aloof when your (high-end) product is flying off shelves in one of the worst economic climates in several generations. It almost makes me want to go down to allen edmonds and buy a pair of macneils out of spite.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  8. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I was there last week and they had the Cigar Indy boot out. I asked if they had any Ravello shoes and they brought out a LWB to show me.

9. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

has anyone ever seen an unlined LHS in Navy Suede?

10. kippy

kippy Senior member

Nice shoes. Looking good. I am one of those "engineers from Silicon Valley" who is halfway through a style reformation. :)

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

+1 on silicon valley style. 99% of guys wear solid blue shirt, grey pants, and square toe'd slip on shoes (aka kenneth coles).

12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Almost :smarmy:

13. blue collar

Those and super square toe Aldo shoes (that look like a duck's bill).

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  14. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

Thanks, to HorseHide, my wallet is now $600 lighter. #8 Unlined PTB. The shell is much softer than I thought it would be.

[​IMG]

Just yesterday I sold off my #8 lwb that were a half size too large, and honestly, didn't quite fit into what I am aiming for style wise. I feel like the ptb will be more versatile than the lwb for me.

15. blue collar

Nice. I love those. I will own a pair once i have the rainbow complete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.