1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I'd keep the one on the right with the single row of stitching. The double row looks odd to me. Not used to seeing it. On the other hand, it does have the virtue of being different.

2. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I have both of those (9015 and 9016) and they are 10D. My LWBs are 9.5D. I think they all fit well, but I especially like the LWBs on the Barrie in terms of comfort. I am not sure I can say why, double sole, blucher style?

3. tmw

tmw Senior member

Gentlemen....sometimes we need to take matters into our own hands. These arrived in the mailbox yesterday and were purchased at the Alden Shop in NYC. A bit of elbow grease and some walnut stain and voila:[​IMG]

My last pair of the same boot (see below picture) were recently sold because they were too tight. They came with a single leather sole and no storm welting (the J. Crew make-up from last year) so I had B. Nelson put on a double leather sole and add a storm welt and stain them in an"Antique" finish. A different look than today's project because the welt was also done in the lighter finish. [​IMG]

I actually love the way both pairs came out but today's project was much cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an Ultimate Indy Boot in CXL. Commando Sole is a must. Does anyone know who stocks and/or restocks one regularly other than LS (already contacted them)?

Thanks for any help!

5. smdbitchh

smdbitchh Well-Known Member

looks awesome!

what did you use to remove the black? and would the walnut stain be necessary..did it look ok before you applied it?

how much did that cost from B nelson?

reason im so curious is because I just picked up a pair of black shell boots that I love but wish the edging was that color for some contrast.. or I could just wear the current soles down and have it done in about a year at b nelson

6. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

[​IMG]
    Cigar captoe boots on Grant with commando sole today

7. Don L

Don L Senior member

^^ One of my favorites ^^

Just cleaned mine up today

8. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Nice work. What was your method?

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Wearing mine right now

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Alden probably could but they don't currently. To be clear Alden NYC stocks the shoes I described, they weren't a custom order by me (another poster mentioned the shoes a few pages back which inspired my visit today)

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

This is very helpful. Much obliged. Seems like the Epic is what I need. Almost wonder if it might have been better for all of my LHS, but there is no way I would buy all new trees for that reason.
    One is Modified, one is Barrie, no? Keep the Modified if you like that last. Harder to find again relative to the other.
    Thank you for your response. Maybe the barrie just works better for your foot shape/proportions?
    That looks awesome. You did a great job. I actually like it better with the welt left black, although I would not have predicted that it would be my preference.

12. tmw

tmw Senior member

"That looks awesome. You did a great job. I actually like it better with the welt left black, although I would not have predicted that it would be my preference."

My sentiments exactly, I couldn't visualize how the black welt would look so I kept it natural on the first pair. I had no choice on the second pair as the welt and double leather sole came from the factory in black.

Now looking at the pics side by side I think that I also prefer the welting in black.. A good thing for the buyer (if he see's this) is that he can bring it to B. Nelson who will easily and cheaply color the welting black if he so desires.

cheers

13. sazon

sazon Senior member

TMW: those boots are so unique looking. I love them !

p.s. speaking of unique, Uncle Mac has added a few new exotics to his blog

14. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

i too am interested in this.

15. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

My apologies. The Modified last is a great fit for many forum members and looks great IMO. It's quite different from the other Alden lasts.

Very nice sir!

16. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

17. tmw

tmw Senior member

Hand sanding and walnut stain followed by Fiebings natural edge dressing.

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you
    i agree

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    good day for indy

20. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,