***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Interesting...I wonder if Alden is trying to put a kabosh on pre-orders to make their make ups a bit more desired by their, mostly impulse buying, customers. I feel like if you're an Alden guy you have to buy on impulse, otherwise you lose out. In otherwords, they're making there shoes more scarce...I wouldn't be surprised if the wait time increases again...because they know we'll wait.

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I do not think that Alden is like that. If there is money on the table they want to make it because they remember when times were not so good, but increased demand has probably stretched the manufacturing capability. I may have read in the past that they are not planning any rapid growth because that has doomed other NE shoe companies. Also I am not sure what the deal is with J Crew but they never seem to be “Sold Out” so I have to believe they are jumping the line in some way.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I don't know, the guys at Alden seem to be pretty savvy and I think we like to think of them as this "frumpy" old school company, but I think they're smarter than what we give them credit for.

I just hope the JCrew thing (and I agree, they seem to be jumping the line, and its probably because they are selling the shoes to a much larger customer base) doesn't turn into the wave of the future, I think JCrew's product has gone downhill drastically in the past 10 years, though i suppose the great customer service makes up for it.

4. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Lovin' my PTBs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I think J Crew has gotten better, but I admit I may be wrong. They were not a company I was watching before. But now they have some nice stuff and seem to be on the leading edge of a number of manufacturers. Alden and Red Wing Heritage come to mind. Also I think now is the time to get Red Wing Heritage before they are priced out of the average consumers range.

I'm lovin' them too!

6. plato

plato Senior member

Thanks for the info. Congratulations again!

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Agreed. I'm somewhat annoyed that JCrew has become so trendy. I miss thier more plain/classic style of years past. I used to regard it as a preppy brand, now its become more hippster. However, I guess you can't blame them, afterall, it is a business.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Alden SF's website indicates they still have ravello ptbs in 6.5, 10, and 13. If you call, ask for Jim, and manager. I have found Jim delightful to work with, but I'm sure others there are decent as well. This shop is where I scored my ravello ptbs in 2011.

9. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Thought that some of you may want to see a comparison between Alden's Cigar shell and Allen Edmonds Cappuccino Shell

Alden Indy in Cigar
    [​IMG]

AE Dundee Chukka in Cappuccino Shell
    [​IMG]

10. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Remember that the Ravello PTBs at Alden SF have the dark welting/edge trim (less attractive than antique IMO)

11. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Are those medium width AE chukkas?

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have ravellos with antique trim and ravellos with darker trim. I like them both, but if forced to choose between the two, I would choose the darker trim. But it's all personal taste ...

13. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Yes they are. I tried the E width first but they were huge on my feet. The D width fit almost perfect.

14. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Those AE look very nice. How would you compare, qual, fit, etc to Alden? I know those were a special edition, so they may have stepped it up a notch.

15. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

They are very nice and I believe the quality to be on par with the Alden shell models I own (5 pairs). I also have the AE Dalton (wingtip boot) in Walnut shell and those are also very nice and compared with my Ravello Wingtip boots they are very similar. The AE's actually are a little more comfortable. Both of these AE makeups were special order so maybe the quality is a little higher than standard AE. I love my Aldens but if the prices keep going up and AE keeps offering different colors of shell then I have no problem buying AE's. I also have no problem buying Carmina from Epaulet and can't wait to order the Navy Shell brogue that's about to go on pre-order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.