• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calidist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfactor23

I'm doing it because, to me, the commando sole is more comfortable than the leather sole, plus better traction, and I like the look - just my humble opinion

I'm replacing the whole sole (I believe) - I'm taking the boots to B. Nelson next week, and should have a clear understanding as to what they will actually be doing after that.

Interesting. I've seen it done both ways though I don't have any experience with it (I am thinking of doing the same as you with my CXL Ultimate Jumpers). I would presume, if it can be done, that keeping the double waterlock sole and having the commando adhered over it would be a great option if it can be replaced easily. Of course then you don't need the replace the whole sole when it wears out. I'm curious what the folks at B. Nelson think about that. Maybe you can let us know if you get a chance? I would be very interested given their superior reputation on SF.

hkpm

Reaction score
Looking for some good boot socks for Indy's and my other Alden work boots. Need to be wool, but I do not wish to spend $20 a pair on work socks. Anyone know of any good socks? I am looking at Smart Wool and Darn Tough. Will be wearing in summer so they cannot be too hot.
Thank you.

I love Smartwool. It may over your budget, but definitely worth it.
You could try the light or mid weight crew socks.
I wear mid weight crew + indy in HK summer, temp over 30'c and 90+ humidity, it is still acceptable to me.
Frankly, you can't really get a cool feeling with socks with certain cushioning.

calidist

Reaction score
Question --- I just bought some Indy 405 boots in Chicago because they were a great price (not seconds). They have the cotton ("duck" something or the other) lining. They are my first Aldens although an Indy boot wasn't my original first pick for an Alden boot. But I'm wondering if they came from older stock since aren't the Indy boots now made with a leather lining?

Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of this cotton lining? Why did Alden use cotton in these and why did they switch to leather? Just curious as I love these boots and am planning my next Alden purchase to be some boot in the modified last.

Those must be a couple years old or a MTO. Not sure about the advantages and disadvantages...

hkpm

Reaction score
Question --- I just bought some Indy 405 boots in Chicago because they were a great price (not seconds). They have the cotton ("duck" something or the other) lining. They are my first Aldens although an Indy boot wasn't my original first pick for an Alden boot. But I'm wondering if they came from older stock since aren't the Indy boots now made with a leather lining?

Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of this cotton lining? Why did Alden use cotton in these and why did they switch to leather? Just curious as I love these boots and am planning my next Alden purchase to be some boot in the modified last.

Isn't the standard lining of 405 cotton and other indy leather?

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Isn't the standard lining of 405 cotton and other indy leather?

They're older. I think the J.Crew Indy Boot (really the precursor to the modern 403, with slight differences) started the leather lining for Indy boots (or maybe it was one of the Leffot variants), but then Alden switched over to leather linings for all of them. I belive the J.Crew Indy boot has a full leather lining, while the standard Indy boot is not leather lined past the the ball of the foot.

Junebug9122

Reaction score
What color are these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-est...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2ebf2504dd#ht_500wt_1179

I can't tell if these are 8 or Cigar. The sole stitch on the welt appears to be a lighter contrast color, which I've only ever seen on cigar shells from alden of carmel. Is there some way to decipher the serial number in one of the pictures?

The seller was no help. He's a complete tool who found three aldens at some kind of estate sale. He was trying to string me along with 'I've got someone interested in all 3, but since you inquired first, I'll let you have dibs.' He's requiring all three (PTB Cigar and Cap Toe in Cigar as well, I think) be bought at once for well north of 1k.

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color are these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awesome-est...Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2ebf2504dd#ht_500wt_1179

I can't tell if these are 8 or Cigar. The sole stitch on the welt appears to be a lighter contrast color, which I've only ever seen on cigar shells from alden of carmel. Is there some way to decipher the serial number in one of the pictures?

The seller was no help. He's a complete tool who found three aldens at some kind of estate sale. He was trying to string me along with 'I've got someone interested in all 3, but since you inquired first, I'll let you have dibs.' He's requiring all three (PTB Cigar and Cap Toe in Cigar as well, I think) be bought at once for well north of 1k.

975s are Color 8.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

What color are these:

I can't tell if these are 8 or Cigar.  The sole stitch on the welt appears to be a lighter contrast color, which I've only ever seen on cigar shells from alden of carmel.  Is there some way to decipher the serial number in one of the pictures?

The seller was no help.  He's a complete tool who found three aldens at some kind of estate sale.  He was trying to string me along with 'I've got someone interested in all 3, but since you inquired first, I'll let you have dibs.'  He's requiring all three (PTB Cigar and Cap Toe in Cigar as well, I think) be bought at once for well north of 1k.

Alden 975 ='s #8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads