***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

I did the same. Good luck, Tom!

2. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

If your arch can deal with a mild arch support insert (more flexible than "straight as a board"), give it a try. My arch flattens out and I have a low instep - I find modified works well even with the addition of a superfeet insert.

3. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

I'm doing it because, to me, the commando sole is more comfortable than the leather sole, plus better traction, and I like the look - just my humble opinion

4. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

I can tell you that, with me, I have no problem with the arch, and I have a low instep. In fact, my cap-toe shoes on the Modified last are very comfortable - no foot fatigue. The one thing I found, though, is that I need a wide size for the shoe to be comfortable.

5. calidist

calidist Senior member

Are you having the commando glued over the double leather sole or replacing the whole sole? If it is the former, is it easy to remove the commando once it is well worn and replace it without damaging the double leather sole?

6. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Originally Posted by sfactor23 [​IMG]

I'm doing it because, to me, the commando sole is more comfortable than the leather sole, plus better traction, and I like the look - just my humble opinion

I'm replacing the whole sole (I believe) - I'm taking the boots to B. Nelson next week, and should have a clear understanding as to what they will actually be doing after that.

7. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I have to agree. I first ordered Alden's via email from Alden of Carmel and I had no problems. Then I met Adam and he was very polite and knowledgable. Who am I going to go with here?

The guy who is nice and knowledgeable or the simp that came on here and asked the same question over, and over and over again despite having his question answered? Really I could see how someone would not want to deal with someone who is so high maintenance.

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello wt
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

10. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Looking for some good boot socks for Indy's and my other Alden work boots. Need to be wool, but I do not wish to spend $20 a pair on work socks. Anyone know of any good socks? I am looking at Smart Wool and Darn Tough. Will be wearing in summer so they cannot be too hot.

Thank you.

11. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

Wigwam and Fox River Mills both produce thick wool socks made in USA. Price is about $12 a pair.

edit: nevermind, didn't see the summer part.

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Question --- I just bought some Indy 405 boots in Chicago because they were a great price (not seconds). They have the cotton ("duck" something or the other) lining. They are my first Aldens although an Indy boot wasn't my original first pick for an Alden boot. But I'm wondering if they came from older stock since aren't the Indy boots now made with a leather lining?

Can anyone comment on the pros/cons of this cotton lining? Why did Alden use cotton in these and why did they switch to leather? Just curious as I love these boots and am planning my next Alden purchase to be some boot in the modified last.

13. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.