1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

i dunno PTB and captoes in barrie fit the same

2. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

Is there a Allen edmonds or Florsheims last that match the barrie last for a size comparison?

3. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

Maybe it is because the Unionmade makeup is a boot? I don't know other than to say I feel a definite difference in how they fit. I don't know how else to explain it.

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I'm an 11D on the brannock with a slightly high volume foot. 10.5D on most barrie shoes works great but I had to go up to 11D on the J. Crew cap toe boot. Glad I had the opportunity to buy in store and try on both as I would have likely gone 1/2 size down if I ordered online.

5. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How do aldens soles hold up on a motorcycle? or should i look at red wings or LL bean

6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Roguls, these cigar boots have got to be the most desirable boots for me. They are right at the very top of my list, and when I get past my two-month moratorium on boot purchases, I will patiently try to find a pair of these. Did you order these via phone or go to Paris to get them? I understand Anatomica won't deduct VAT but if you pick them up in Paris you can do that at the airport, right? And customs shouldn't charge duty since they are a US product, correct?

Anyway, that is an awesome pair of boots to own. Enjoy and thanks for sharing even though you were hung over!

7. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Happy Xmas eve. These are my Xmas present to myself.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

In my experience, chukkas fit slightly looser than PTBs, so, IMO, chukkas do not fit a touch smaller than other Barrie lasted shoes.

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

Thanks - I trust your experience on this. I doubt anyone here other than Mac has the wide of assortment of shell shoes you have.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I have noticed this as well. I wish they would go in the opposite direction too and start carrying more narrow shoes. Other than waiting 2 years for a pre-order, I have a hell of a time finding narrow widths.

11. Burton

Burton Senior member

As to AE - I think the closest last is their 4 - which is a larger volume last. The MacNeil, Leeds and Bradley are all on the 1 which is a very different last than Barrie. It is a much lower volume last and is very TTS. I have no knowledge of the Florsheim lasts.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

This is very decent advice as to AE's 4 vs. Barrie (the 4 probably being AE's most voluminous).

Incidentally, AE almost never uses the 4 and Alden all the time uses the Barrie. Personally I stay TTS (9.5D) for AE's 4 last, whereas Barrie I go 1/2 size down (9D).

AE's 1 last, as the Gent points out, is a different ballgame altogether. I actually go up 1/2 size in AE's 1 last - to 10C or 10D (Leeds, Bradley) , and it is a very comfortable last. I also go up 1/2 size in AE's 7 last - 10D (MacNeil).

The moral of the story: try them on first if possible; if not, order two sizes and send one back..

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

This is my experience. 10.5E works for me and if not available I go 11D.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

That's interesting.

I have the #8 wingtip boot from TSM and #8 cap toe boot from J Crew.

Both on the Barrie, both size 11, and they both work fine for me.

But as stated previously the general rule of thumb may work for most, but not for everybody.

Besides that's why it's always best to work with soimeone that will take returns when necessary.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    i would sell

16. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

very nice present, wear in good health

17. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

just tossing it out there - if anyone has a pair of the LS cognac flex plain toe boot in size 8D that you're not getting any use out of, please let me know...

Merry Xmas to all.

18. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LS #4 4x4

19. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    from my experience, the two eyelet chukkas i never felt totally comfortable; accordingly, i have sold all my two eyelet chukkas and i have found the six eyelet chukkas work very well for me

20. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nephew,
    +1 for #4 and argyles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.