• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in case anyone is interested in the less exotic alden boots, j. gilbert just got in a restock of the #8 plain toe and #8 cap toe boots (both plaza, both commando sole). i swung by on my lunch break and picked up the plain toes i had reserved and a bottle of sapphir reno. so psyched, this is my first foray into the plaza last. hoping for a better fit than i've gotten from the barrie.

Do you know if J Gilbert stocks E widths in these plaza boots

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Check out the stiching on the side of the shoe - the regular PTB is pretty near whole cut, while the dover has sitching that connects the vamp to the bottom of the sole... The dover pattern is used on suede PTBs and some of the special makeup PTBs (this shoe, the unlined color 8, etc). I much prefer the dover

ahh you're right, didn't notice the side stitching. these do look nice... :inlove:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One of the Horween shell colors that is allegedly in short supply is Cigar.

That's more or less the same color as is used by C

Yep. http://www.stitchedandstitched.com/?p=1488, apparently they don't seem to want to use Horween's. I didn't even realize there were any tanneries doing shell besides Horween and some places in Japan.

Doesn't seem like it's very good, either. http://www.styleforum.net/t/118908/in-praise-of-trickers/225#post_4773134

I've got a pair of Comipel cordovan Tricker's.
It isn't as thick as Horween but no complaints. I'm not quite sure what that guy was ranting about.

Meermin gets their cordovan from Argentina.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Comipel cordovan Tricker's.
It isn't as thick as Horween but no complaints. I'm not quite sure what that guy was ranting about.
Meermin gets their cordovan from Argentina.
does it smell as nice as Horween's? that's some of the best smelling leather to me. I know it's tanned for a very long time, maybe Comipel doesn't spend as long tanning theirs, hence it not being as oily, smelling the same, and getting welts (from the lack of oil).

Edgein

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the crepe sole on the Dover. It seems to me that a $600+ shoe should have a leather sole. Much prefer the 2nd version shown by Alcibiades. My 2¢.

triumphman

Reaction score

c6e4d432-bd30-99ec.jpg

Junya Watanabe CDG x Alden Shell PTBs.

$1544 for these? I'll pass.

http://hypebeast.com/2011/06/junya-watanabe-comme-des-garcons-man-x-alden-cordovan-oxfords/

SCOTT FREE

Reaction score
I was hoping someone here could help me out. Assuming Alden is still the manufacturer for some of the shoes in Brooks Brothers' line, could anyone tell me what last these are built on? I take a 9 in the aforementioned pair, and I'm trying to figure out what the equivalent Trubalance size would be (as I'm pretty certain this pair is not trubalance).

Thanks in advance.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Not a huge fan of the crepe sole on the Dover.  It seems to me that a $600+ shoe should have a leather sole.  Much prefer the 2nd version shown by Alcibiades.  My 2¢.

I think it's a very different shoe for a reason...the dark crepe sole against the much lighter 360 welt and the matched eyelets gives it a modern look that almost reminds me of something you'd see from a designer like CDG or someone along those lines.

the orignal PTB is a classic of course but this seems meant to be more a of a denim shoe than an all purpose dress shoe.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's a very different shoe for a reason...the dark crepe sole against the much lighter 360 welt and the matched eyelets gives it a modern look that almost reminds me of something you'd see from a designer like CDG or someone along those lines.
the orignal PTB is a classic of course but this seems meant to be more a of a denim shoe than an all purpose dress shoe.

yep that's what i was hoping for WHEN I KOPPED THEM OVER THE PHONE A FEW MINUTES AGO. :slayer:

thanks again for the heads-up on those. :fistbump:

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a huge fan of the crepe sole on the Dover.  It seems to me that a $600+ shoe should have a leather sole.  Much prefer the 2nd version shown by Alcibiades.  My 2¢.

I bought the Winn Perry version of this shoe from a Styleforum member (it has blind eyelets). I see it as my foul weather cordovan shoe. The crepe gets good traction in the rain. You can wear it with grey pants to work on a rainy day or wear it with denim or chinos when you know will be facing wetter conditions. It's a great makeup in certain circumstances

Edgein

Reaction score
I have Russell Moccasins with crepe soles that are great. Really like the crepe, just not on cordovan Alden's. I'm happy for you guys who like them. Just not my cuppa. Now, those Whiskeys with antique edge trim, that's the ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads