1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior Member

Like a lot of the European shell cordovan, it's all dark. Hides the blemishes. Besides that Tricker's x Tres Bien collaboration, I don't recall a ton of light shell apart from what Alden does. Maybe a few things here and there, but not a bunch.

2. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

One of the Horween shell colors that is allegedly in short supply is Cigar.
    That's more or less the same color as is used by C&J.

Tricker's uses Comipel cordovan.
    There was some talk about them using Horween Shell too but it appears they do not.

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Distinguished Member

This talk of "blemishes" makes absolutely no sense.

shell cordovan is made from the dermis of the horse butt. It means that the superficial layer (the part we see) is removed first.

I don't recall seeing lots of horses with deep gouges on their butt.

I don't buy the theory that the shortage of lighter color shell cordovan is due to lack of "perfect" raw material.

4. Dbear

Dbear Distinguished Member

^ i dunno, the rare colors are rare for a reason.

epaulet's video where they take a tour of the alden factory and have interviews w/ alden personnel...i do remember them saying that a whiskey shell basically requires a perfect hide to begin with...and I don't think they are talking about gouges, but about about blemishes, discoloration. etc. ... who knows what lies underneath the superficial layer that you speak of..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

5. AML225

AML225 Senior Member

If I'm a 6.5D on the Barrie, how would a 7C Barrie fit?

6. misterjuiceman

I'd say it should be about the same. Is it shell, calf or CXL? For the latter two, it'd probably stretch very quickly to be what you're used to. Always best to try it on though. Why go down to a 7C? Always easier to know your size in D-width, since it's more widely available. I'm normally a 7E in Trubalance and Barrie, but I found 7.5D fits me very well in both lasts.

7. misterjuiceman

Yep. http://www.stitchedandstitched.com/?p=1488, apparently they don't seem to want to use Horween's. I didn't even realize there were any tanneries doing shell besides Horween and some places in Japan.

Doesn't seem like it's very good, either. http://www.styleforum.net/t/118908/in-praise-of-trickers/225#post_4773134

8. trig

trig Distinguished Member

maybe i should go this route when i can't find 7e.

9. AnOxymoron

AnOxymoron Senior Member

I know this is the alden thread, but I just discovered this brand and the shoes look pretty nice. No shell offerings, but the calf is beautiful. What do you guys think?

http://sagaraindonesia.com/

10. misterjuiceman

it's definitely not a bad way to go. J Crew has some awesome collaboration shoes (I love the captoed #8 boot), and you can always order online and return in the store. they only carry D-widths so you can try it out with them. 60 days to return, too. I know with Barrie, TruBalance and Modified it's not a huge deal, just a little bit different. I actually tried a boot in 7E and 7.5D on the Modified last, and I could barely tell the difference (neither were broken in).

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Distinguished Member

those are sweet. anyone know what "dover" means?

[​IMG]

12. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior Member

in case anyone is interested in the less exotic alden boots, j. gilbert just got in a restock of the #8 plain toe and #8 cap toe boots (both plaza, both commando sole). i swung by on my lunch break and picked up the plain toes i had reserved and a bottle of sapphir reno. so psyched, this is my first foray into the plaza last. hoping for a better fit than i've gotten from the barrie.

13. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Check out the stiching on the side of the shoe - the regular PTB is pretty near whole cut, while the dover has sitching that connects the vamp to the bottom of the sole... The dover pattern is used on suede PTBs and some of the special makeup PTBs (this shoe, the unlined color 8, etc). I much prefer the dover

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.