• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think there are a number of factors such as quality and quantity of runs. I assume Alden has larger orders and need much of shell in the quality they expect. However, other orders such as the Alfred Sargent MTO bal boot (cognac/cigar/dark brown) or the double monk (whiskey) only had runs 6 or 7 per run. Alden may need 10 times and it may not be cost effective to do fractions of the total run hence the delay. Just a hypothesis and really don't know...

Can you elaborate what 6-7 per run mean? I'm curious to know why Ravello/Cigar is in short supply compared to Black or Burgundy?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you elaborate what 6-7 per run mean? I'm curious to know why Ravello/Cigar is in short supply compared to Black or Burgundy?

It seems to me that...

A lot of the European producers are only producing 6-7 pairs per run, so they only need 6-7 shells for any given order. Plus, the European guys are also doing one-off MTO orders of one shoe. Very few of the European shoemakers seem to offer "stock" rare shell shoes.

Now Alden, on the other hand, has three Alden branded stores that stock rare cordovan colors, plus seemingly dozens of independent retailers globally that like to have rare colors occasionally. In a rare color for example Alden DC may like to get two or three of every size, so that is over 20-30 pairs per run.

Rare cordovan are less plentiful than black or color 8 because the ligher dyes require hides with fewer imperfections

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few of us (SF members) collaborated with A Fine Pair of Shoes, a British shoe company, to have some MTO shoes done. Unlike Alden, the minimum is only 6 pairs (which is MUCH less). I guess when I said '6-7 per run' I meant the number of shoes per order. It is easier getting shell for that amount compared to 16 or 20 if obtained all at the same time.

For your other question, my understanding is the quality of shell needs to be better for lighter colors because any blemish will be much more recognizable juxtaposed to #8 or black where imperfections may be less of an issue.

If you're interested we have a MTO cognac (dark brown/cigar/whatever you call it) shell balmoral boot order that have a couple slots left. :)

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A few of us (SF members) collaborated with A Fine Pair of Shoes, a British shoe company, to have some MTO shoes done. Unlike Alden, the minimum is only 6 pairs (which is MUCH less). I guess when I said '6-7 per run' I meant the number of shoes per order. It is easier getting shell for that amount compared to 16 or 20 if obtained all at the same time.
For your other question, my understanding is the quality of shell needs to be better for lighter colors because any blemish will be much more recognizable juxtaposed to #8 or black where imperfections may be less of an issue.
If you're interested we have a MTO cognac (dark brown/cigar/whatever you call it) shell balmoral boot order that have a couple slots left. :)

Or a spectacular Benson single monk strap...As seen here. 2 slots left, so get them while its hot.

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/p...-exclusive-benson-monk-in-cognac-cordovan-mto

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now Alden, on the other hand, has three Alden branded stores s

I believe they have 2, SF and DC; NY is independently owned but exclusively sells Alden. Don't mean to be picky but the NY store also experiences some of the shortage difficulties.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe they have 2, SF and DC; NY is independently owned but exclusively sells Alden. Don't mean to be picky but the NY store also experiences some of the shortage difficulties.

True, they do experience shortage issues, but my point was that they are continuously reodering stock rare shell shoes (chukkas, PTBs, LWB, LHS, etc), so that just limtis the overall supply of rare cordovan for custom MTOs. EG, AS, Carmina, etc don't really have that issue as far as I know

schrag

Reaction score
Question - If I wear a 10.5 D suede 904 wingtip on the Hampton last, would it make sense to go up to a 10.5 E on the grant last for a cordovan boot? To leave room for thicker socks, and as the leather won't stretch. http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...d-4065_ald_m_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan.html

My foot is fairly brick like and I think the Hampton last worked because the uppers were so supple. I'm worried because D widths often pinch my little toe and are too tight across the vamp/ball of my foot. Yet Alden sizing seems generous...

The only dealer in my city has told me they are no longer going to carry the brand due to long delays in restocking & customer orders.

HorseHide

Reaction score

Rare cordovan are less plentiful than black or color 8 because the ligher dyes require hides with fewer imperfections

Wait, lighter dyes? And all this time I thought ravello and whiskey were the hides from blonde horses!

mr chorizo

Reaction score

violethour1951

Reaction score
Ravello:

What a majestic beast. It's a shame all I see is this:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

How come European shoe manufactures like EG, Carmina, Alfred Sargent...etc have no problem sourcing non #8 shell cordovans from Horween?

Like the seemingly never ending supply of C&J made RL Marlows?

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Alright, this is just driving me nuts.  I've looked everywhere for any information about this model number...trying to determine whether they're shell or not.  Anyone know?  #22220 (above that, it says 6R28XO22 5).  That in the pics that looks like microcreasing is most likely dust from them sitting around 
shog%5B1%5D.gif
.  I actually don't think there's any microcreasing; they don't look like they've been worn enough to crease/roll.  Any help appreciated. 

This is definitely the number for the cigar NST on the Aberdeen last. Looking at a pair as I type this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads