1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Also mind-blowing! There's somthing about a whiskey bal that turns my crank :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. cero

cero Member

Thank you. This is what I wanted to know. So basically I am overreacting. I don't need to have it flawless, I just needed to make sure that I am not getting shafted with below average quality.

I figured that there was no better place to get an experienced opinion on these shoes than the enthusiast thread.

3. Eleganza

Eleganza Active Member

Shell purists, 'eh? Okay, LOL! I live in NYC, and I walk plenty.[​IMG] Creasing is going to happen, especially in these streets.
    I was just thinking of how can you actually walk without a shoe, any shoe, creasing at all. It seems physiologically impossible, unless you are sliding to and from work.[​IMG]

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Only you can determine how important it is - other posters have bought fewer Alden shoes because of these issues. I obviously like Alden a lot, but quality control / consistency from pair to pair is not the company's strong suit

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

I think you and I are saying exactly the same thing. My point above is that many here work really hard to prevent their shells from creasing. I agree with you, this seems to be at odds with what we know happens to shoes as you walk in them--but it doesn't stop people from trying.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Outstanding - I didn't submit a top 3, but these would likely be in mine

7. cero

cero Member

Well the comments from both you and Burton seem to indicate that it comes with the territory. I was not aware of the quality control issues but I am otherwise really excited about starting a shell collection.

8. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

I know this has been gone over a bunch of times, but I can't seem to find them on the thread. What are the rubbers that have the felt or fleece lining in them. I got my first pair(s) of shells this past year and need a new pair of outers. Thanks in advance.

9. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Thanks, I didn't submit a top 3 either. But if I could keep just 3, the list would be as follows:

1. #8 Indy boots
    2. Ravello LWB
    3. #8 NST loafer on the Grant (super comfortable for me)

I'd really miss the rest of the truckload of Aldens I own if I had to boil it down to only those few. But my lady wouldn't miss them taking up all the space in the house. Ha.

10. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Well said.

http://swims.com/

http://www.tingleyrubber.com/product/dress-rubber-overshoes.html

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

SWIMS

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

When I wear mine, the felt from the inside sheds and sticks to the thread of the stitching. Does that happen to anyone else?

13. LouisCr

LouisCr Member

Originally Posted by Alcibiades [​IMG]

I didn't submit a top 3, but these would likely be in mine:

1. Color 8 PTB
    2. Ravello LWB
    3. Natural Indy Chromexcel (low)

14. stanford88

stanford88 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/quote]

I have an identical pair (well the colors of my right and left are a few shades different) and they have become my favorites! Great picture.

15. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

I'm doing the same thing and expecting the larger size today. All of my shells have been shoes up until this point and fit fairly snug, so I figured I'd try a larger size in the boot to have the option of wearing thicker socks. I think someone posted a comment about shell warming up throughout the day which accommodates the initial tight feel. I agree with that and prefer the secure feel of a snug fit. I don't care for my feet sloshing around in the toe box...fingers crossed on the new size.

16. IRONHORSE

IRONHORSE Well-Known Member

17. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

nice.......from Frans? I'm wearing mine today. Are yours on the darker end of the cigar spectrum?

18. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

if this is inappropriate for this thread let me know and I'll delete it but I just put up a pair of lightly used 9.5 Cigar NST's on the B&S.

19. IRONHORSE

IRONHORSE Well-Known Member

Yes and it is on the lighter side:)

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

1. Shell creases differently than calf creases. With shell the hairline creasing is absent. A shell shoe with literally no creasing = an unworn shell shoe.

2. Beef rolls can be indicative of poor sizing (length or width, or both), but obviously not always.

3. I personally have never met (or spoken to, or corresponded with) a shell shoe wearer who is anti-creasing.

4. One with a trained eye can differentiate between shell and calf quite easily. But admittedly those with a trained eye in this regard are few and far between.

5. A Merry Christmas to one and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.