1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Senior member

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

2. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

Question: I just received my Indys from J.Crew and I noticed the stitching was undone in one area. Was wondering is this acceptable or will present a problem once I start wearing them? See the pic below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The last paragraph = curious, and seemingly unprovoked.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A wonderful purchase, and one you will not regret. :D

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

6. elvi679

elvi679 Senior member

awesome Color #4 Captoe - keep the pics coming as they breakin - congrats

7. ReppTiePrepster

Thank you SevenFTG. We can always count on you to be especially honest and supportive. Very much appreciated!

8. ReppTiePrepster

Much thanks Don L!

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

No. Not acceptable. Return to either J. Crew or Alden and they will repair.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

This wouldn't bother me. I don't think the stitching will come loose. But, considering the price point, by all means return them if you aren't happy.

11. cero

cero Member

Hey so I finally started my collection. I bought a pair of LWB #8 to start but I have examined them at home and it doesn't feel right. I took a few photos maybe you guys can tell me if I am being OCD or not.

1. There is a small scratch in the instep of the left shoe.
    2. Some discoloration on the inside of the heels
    3. There is a large bump or bend on the inner side of the left shoe.

I imagine some polish might get the scratch out but what about that bump on the side? Could I fix that or is it just easier to exchange for another pair?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. borderline

borderline Senior member

Those Stockton's look great, anyone have them or something similar?

13. stanford88

stanford88 Well-Known Member

Question: I just received my Indys from J.Crew and I noticed the stitching was undone in one area. Was wondering is this acceptable or will present a problem once I start wearing them? See the pic below.

Wouldn't bother me either but if you are concerned, back they go!

14. stanford88

stanford88 Well-Known Member

I believe Leffot has Black Alpine Grain restock a few days ago

15. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Returned my #8 cap toe from JCrew. With so many floating around that were copped on sale, plus the fact I have the #8 cap toe plaza from LS on order, it was hard to justify keeping them.

But so I'm thinking of putting down for a pair of the #8 PTB from Alden of Carmel when they do their fall 2013 order. The comando sole + plaza last is hard to resist. Anyone have any pictures of theirs to share?

16. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

That would bother me, considering the price paid. I would send them back.

17. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

don't worry... they'll come undone in a few months regardless. It's alden, what do you expect?

18. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Internet is terrible at conveying tone, and I can be terse, so for that I apologize. Adding the "IMO" was my futile attempt at showcasing my personal beliefs are far from any objective fact.

It's been discussed in this thread how other makers (C&J, Carmina, et al.) have equal or better quality at a lower price-point when it comes to calf. I did not mean to disparage the fact that Alden's in calf are certainly a step-up from say, a comparable Allen Edmonds, and are still a high-quality, American-made shoe. My only point was from a value-proposition sense, I personally believe the calf offerings miss the mark with prices approaching and exceeding $500, and I don't believe I am alone on this.

BootSpell's sentiment echoes my own; I buy shell shoes to showcase the shell/material.

I personally feel that adding the requisite brouging and ornamentation of a LWB detracts from the shell, and is harder to distinguish from a well-polished calf equivalent. The most obvious indicator of shell v. calf is in the rolls vs. creases, respectively, which is less pronounced in a shortened-vamp LWB.

Perhaps it was my thinly veiled prejudice against LWB's coming through, but I understand their role in a wardrobe and place in classic-Americana.

Those Ravellos are indeed pretty ReppTiePrepster !

That said, I appreciate the civility of this thread and posters.

19. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Boots or shoes? Either way, #8 + Plaza + Commando = Alden heaven [​IMG]

20. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

thanks for posting a followup, it's always interesting to see what can be done on older shoes. it appears in one of the before pics that there are some cracks on the right shoe, anything done to that? looks like they could use some conditioning that would enhance the patina.

i get that the lwb is the effortless timeless classic shoe that is the staple of every wardrobe, and i don't have anything against them, but i wish more retailers would branch out from doing different leather variations of the lwb on the barrie last. but i guess that's what'll sell based on everyone picking them in their top 3.

edit:
    if by ptb you mean plain toe boot, see my post here for my pair, probably my fav Alden's: http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/36180#post_5819785

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.