***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chanakit

chanakit Well-Known Member

i saw Alden natty boot plain toe CXL in leathersoul it look similar with plain toe in Union made but it's price more expensive than union made 35 US i don't knoe why?

2. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

if horween is still making/shipping whiskey, where the shells have to be all but perfect, i wouldn't sweat the shortage of ravello as indicative of horween's quality (or lack thereof)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Agreed - seems like more of an indicator of the popularity of ravello than anything else

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

yeah i think you'll be shocked at how nice that boot is. the guy at Unionmade said that they should be getting a shipment of aldens in the next 2-4 months, and that he *thought* that it would include a variation of the Sloat boot, with a commando sole instead of the neoprene sole.

5. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

just as an (important) aside; i recall reading once that horween's sources of shell are all horses that have died of natural causes. i.e. they don't die for the purchase of the hide.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I'm pretty sure it's just that the horses aren't slaughtered solely for their hides. I don't think there's any "natural causes" about their demise.

7. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

"THEY KILL HORSES DON'T THEY?

No! Only mature animals that have died of natural causes are used by the Horween Leather Company for their shells. While Shell Cordovan was once made by a number of leather tanneries in the USA, for many years, Horween has been the only remaining maker of Shell Cordovan. They have made it in the same way since 1905. No other tannery in the world makes genuine Shell Cordovan. "

http://corvuswatch.blogspot.com/2011/10/introducing-our-new-two-piece-shell.html

however, i agree that "natural" remains open to interpretation here. it could be that a broken leg on the race track results in a whiskey chukka.

8. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

I've heard about the shortage of cordovan for years and this is the first I've actually seen it. There is more demand from Italy, Japan, and other US makes for shell, so it doesn't surprise me, just that up until now, it hasn't existed in the public domain. As previously stated, if you wait long enough, a shoe that you want will come around, even on sale!

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

See this
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/274603/nick-v-interviews-nick-horween-horween-leather

10. furo

furo Senior member

I don't see it this way - has anyone confirmed this? From what I understand, the shortage of Ravello would be for the exact same reason as for Whiskey, i.e. lack of quality hides.

The other reason may be a larger backorder of whiskey shell, so they are allocating all the high quality hides to fill those orders prior to moving toward Ravello, but I have yet to see this actually in writing or from a credible source.

11. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

^^ ah interesting.

so, like, dog food? who eats horse?

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Horse is quite tasty.

13. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

15. furo