• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is that not the retailers fault? Assuming they came like that, they obviously didn't inspect their goods properly before sending it out--if they had, they could have easily sent the boots back for a replacement. Take the refund and buy another pair.

kippy

Reaction score

How is that not the retailers fault? Assuming they came like that, they obviously didn't inspect their goods properly before sending it out--if they had, they could have easily sent the boots back for a replacement. Take the refund and buy another pair.

++1 Agreed. I had a similar issue with a pair of Whiskey Chukka's and the Alden Madison Ave shop had no issues refunding me in full. Your retailer should be able to recoup their costs from Alden as well given how egregious this defect is.

closerlook

Reaction score
well, its a special make up (yes, i am intentionally omitting the retailer and the model of the shoe).
so i can't just get another pair.
I think if anyone its Alden's fault. Poor quality control strikes again.

kippy

Reaction score

well, its a special make up (yes, i am intentionally omitting the retailer and the model of the shoe).
so i can't just get another pair.
I think if anyone its Alden's fault. Poor quality control strikes again.

You are correct - it is Alden's responsibility, but perhaps you are giving the retailer a pass when they share responsibility in inspecting the shoe before shipping them to you and confirming the goods are in the proper condition. Having said that, these are your shoes and it is your call and no one else's.

thecentennial

Reaction score
The crepe sole on my aldens is wearing too rapidly for my liking, especially the outside heel area.

Im thinking of putting on heel taps, but am concerned the nails will be difficult to hammer/push in, and they may also not hold.

May use shoe goo to bond the tap to the heel, though thought Id ask here if anyone has done something similar.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are correct - it is Alden's responsibility, but perhaps you are giving the retailer a pass when they share responsibility in inspecting the shoe before shipping them to you and confirming the goods are in the proper condition. Having said that, these are your shoes and it is your call and no one else's.

I am not a retailer but if it is not visible unless it is in full daylight they may not have even notcied on careful inspection. He even looked at them and put them on without noticing.

I know that a lot of retailers do check shoes but I hardly expect ANY retailer to check new good directly from the manufacturer. When I go to Home Depot they do not open all my packaging and check it before I buy.

Answer: I am not sure that can be fixed. I would contact the retailer and see if they could send them to Alden. I think a lot of the things that people go off on in this thread are very minor but I do not think this is something you are going to get over. Good luck.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jealous of all the Ravello today....if anyone wants some Ravello in their life and can find it in their size, do not hesitate. There seems to be a Ravello shortage and it might be a while before we see any new offerings in this color shell any time soon.

I thought J Crew was coming out with a Ravello offering?

And I have seen more new Ravello makeups in the last 5 months than the prior 2 years.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today is a good day for Black Shell...
35jcjm8.jpg

the scuffs happened today...I gave them a solid brushing before I left...but its a cruel, cruel World.
28mio10.jpg

This is not a problem AND in a great area. A LITTLE black shoe cream and a good brushing will get rid of that in minutes. Then it will get better over time to the point you will not notice.

Good boots! Where my black plain to boots from Leather Soul ALL the time.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can alden fix this horror? i was offered a full refund by the retailer, but its not his fault, so I said no way. wasn't what i was asking for anyway. I just wanted to know if they can be redyed.
the consensus is that there is nothing that could be done... : (
this blotch wasn't noticed until i was already walking in them outside, as its only apparent in day light...

Alden can re-dye the shoes. If its really not noticeable, wait until you need to get them re-soled and also request to have the shoes re-dyed to even out the spot. Don't worry, this is something Alden can eventually fix.

AAF-8AF

Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing, assuming you can get Alden to cooperate. There was video floating around a couple years ago that showed how Alden applied their dye with a swab over the shoe. The dye is very water thin and it's easy to see how it could be applied unevenly. I've got small spots like this on some of my #8 shells as well, and I figure it's just how it is, though the OP has something more severe than I've seen.

Alden can re-dye the shoes. If its really not noticeable, wait until you need to get them re-soled and also request to have the shoes re-dyed to even out the spot. Don't worry, this is something Alden can eventually fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads