1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

FYI Only: These are standard double leather soles. This is not the same shipment just received by Alden DC (waterloc double leather soles).

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I have to say that your comment is quite out of line. Nobody on SF is beyond questioning as long as the questions are asked in a cordial way with genuine interest for gaining or adding to the body of knowledge. If you are uncomfortable with asking someone questions, that's your problem not mine. Perhaps you can expound on your first comment by explaining why you think my question was in "poor taste." Asking someone's secret on how they keep their shoes looking so pristine is poor taste? Feel free to read through my post history if you want to read something contributive, they are there for all to see.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Does anyone care to post a photo of their "modified" foot? I'm curious to see what sort of foot shape fits in to the modified... Perhaps others don't care to see photos of bare feet? I do not wish to be rude. :crazy:

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The Modified last is great for a variety of foot shapes. The only exception might be someone with exceptionally flat feet, the agressive arch support may be uncomfortable. I have two pairs on the Modified. It's my favorite so far.

5. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Wax is soluble in solvent, so I'd recommend showing them to your dry cleaner. If you want to try it yourself, get a can of electronics cleaner, which is relatively clean, impurity-wise, and will break down the wax. You may have some residual discoloration, but I'm sure it will get the shoes back to a serviceable state.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Cigar and ravello inventories have been increasing. I hope Whiskey is next so that my LWB from Alden NY will finally arrive! At least I already prepaid. The last one for the shell collection!

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

As a final option, I thought maybe just dye them a different color?

8. dconklin

dconklin New Member

Uncle Sam did you try placing a paper towel on them and using an iron on a low setting? It worked on carpet for me before (never tried on shoes) basically the iron heats up the wax and then it is absorbed by the paper towel. Good luck to you sir! I have 2 pairs of suede Aldens that I am afraid to wear sometimes, because I am afraid of dropping drinks, greasy foods on them. I had never even considered wax before. Leather is so much easier to clean.

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

I believe the modified last would work well with Morton's toe - tough I have not put the theory to a test.

[​IMG]

Though in my case the third toe is actually larger than both the first and second.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Thanks for your insight. I visit NY a few times per year, so I can imagine what you mean about the walking.

I am not sure I'll truly transition out of AEs, the reality is I have most of their shell offering I'm interested in, but they do a special makeup periodically. The Alden x J. Crew shell captoes and chukkas I acquired over the past year or so interested me more in Aldens, especially for their shell boot offerings.

11. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

Thanks for the tip! Ordered!

12. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

Holy crap.....
    Got the #8, cigar and whiskey lwb already, probably pass this one [​IMG]

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Ravello, Ravello everywhere, but still no Epaulet Brixton boot. I think I've seen every major Alden retailer get a new shipment of Ravello in the last 2-3 weeks, so this pre-order should hopefully be coming soon.

1 person likes this.
  14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Ooh - was it a pre- order only, or are they getting general stock too? Having a hard time deciding between cigar Indy, ravello LWB, or now ravello Brixton...

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Can some one post some new pics to bump the foot horror off of "Recent Images In This Thread"?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  16. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

Does anyone know if shoes sitting in stores for a long time will effect the leather's color/quality? When I see pictures like this, it makes me question if it's bad photography or just an uncleaned pair of shoes.

[​IMG]

edit: ^ you're welcome :p

17. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Ravello Brixton was a pre-order only, so it's doubtful that they will have any extra stock on that one. It's at about 23 months now I think.

18. MFreedomlovers

MFreedomlovers New Member

Ravello Brixton is ready to pre-order?Where is it ?
    Thanks[​IMG]

19. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Over time #8 and cigar get lighter and ravello and whiskey get darker. So to answer your question, yes time and sunlight affect the color/shade of shell. It is possible that the shoes you posed could be ravello or even aged whiskey shell.

edit: on closer inspection someone could have also used a polish too dark for that specific shell and have changed the shade/hue slightly. IMO anyway.

20. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

^ Very interesting, I've known that most leathers tan, but didn't know the cigar/#8 would lighten up. The shoes I posted are Whiskey colored, I believe they've probably been sitting at the store for quite some time.

Is there any way to prevent the whiskey/ravello shell from darkening too much?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.