• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too - size 9D on the Brannock (my foot may be smaller but it's larger since it flattens out due to my low arch). The Barrie is loose on my heel for sure but snug along some of my toes - the Plaza last works well for me in the 9D, you may wanna give that one a shot!

I was thinking to get Plaza cap toe, it was a coin flip..:)

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This may have been previously discussed, but what is the female equivalent shoe company to Alden?  Fashion aside, I'm talking quality, comfort, made in the US, if possible.  Let's see what you guys and women too, have to say.  Thanks.

I'm not very knowledgable on women's shoes, but check out Frye. They're high quality, made in the US and are at a similar price point to Alden. I think they mainly make boots tho, not sure if they also make shoes. Probably a better choice is Carmina, sold exclusively in the US by Epaulet. They're not made in the US however, but they are very high quality.

Last edited:

kram6136

Reaction score
I know I've posted about rain before, but here's another one. Japan enters its rainy season in mid-June, so it's on my mind.

I'm thinking that, if properly sprayed with AE/Meltonian/etc protector, suede chukkas (or PTB) with the oiled flex-welt might do the trick. Now, I'm not talking about trudging through a downpour, but rather on days when I think there might be a shower in the afternoon. I avoid wearing my shells on such days, and I'd like some alternatives to my Indy boots. Am I crazy for thinking that suede might work for this?

I guess a Chromexcel chukka or LHS might be useful for this purpose too. Seems hard to find them in a dark color.

Last edited:

david3558

Reaction score
Have you considered galoshes? Just a thought - these are made by SWIMS.

swims-rubber-shoes-02.jpg

swims-rubber-shoes-01.jpg

swims-rubber-shoes-06.jpg

kram6136

Reaction score
^ Yes, thanks - I agree that having a pair of Swims or Tingleys on hand would be useful. But I'd also love to have a pair of shoes or boots apart from my Indy boots that I could wear without worrying about the weather as much.

david3558

Reaction score

^ Yes, thanks - I agree that having a pair of Swims or Tingleys on hand would be useful. But I'd also love to have a pair of shoes or boots apart from my Indy boots that I could wear without worrying about the weather as much.

NP, in that case have you considered the much chunkier Danner boots? I have a pair of black Mountain Light IIs and they are SUPER comfortable. The boot is totally waterproof thanks to the Gore Tex liner inside and I walk with total confidence in **** weather with them. Plus, you can actually take them on hikes if need be! Maybe consider a pair of suede ones too, I know JP has some cool models we don't get here.

kram6136

Reaction score
^ I've got a pair of Goretex Keens that are very comfortable boots and great in foul weather, so I think I'm OK for really bad rain or even snow. I just want some nice shoes that can be dressed up a bit and not have me always worrying about whether there might be a sprinkle of rain. Actually, my Black and Tan Indy boots from Epaulet, made in Horween's Pegasus leather, are my go-to rain boots recently. I'd just like to mix it up with something that might be a little easier to dress up than the Tru-Balance Indy style. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Kashiwa

Reaction score
^^ I'm also in Japan, and just picked up a pair of PTBs that I will need to pick up some galoshes for. It rains so often here (Tokyo), not just in the rainy season, but throughout the summer in the form of, as they say, "guerrilla rain", caused by the urban heat island effect. I'm thinking about something in Kudu for a foul weather shoe, but there's not a lot available.

There is a chukka from TSM.

I would like a LWB in kudu, but can't locate my size anywhere.

Last edited:

kram6136

Reaction score
^ Ha! I was just looking at that kudu chukka on the Alden San Francisco site. The kudu LWB looks very cool, but I'm not sure I like the plantation crepe sole.

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads