1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG]
    black wt
    argyles otc

2. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Distinguished Member

Middle pair is awesome.

3. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior Member

"Alden's boys' shoes are in a class by themselves" (Butler Times Butler PA Sep 14, 1911)

[​IMG]

"mannish shoes for boys" (Berkeley Daily Gazette Nov. 5 1914)

[​IMG]

"with the snap and go about them that boys like" (Evening Bulletin Honolulu July 1908)

[​IMG]

"the shoe most conducive to his health and happiness" (Pensacola Journal Jun 7 1907)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2012

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

AWESOME. Thanks for posting.

5. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior Member

My pleasure, glad you enjoyed it.

6. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Well-Known Member

A

7. Soylent Green

Go wider. I had the same problem, and while the shoe has loosened up, it's still a bit annoying/not perfect. The shoe I have is a snuff suede chukka. Also be warned, after a few months my suede chukka is falling apart at the seams. Very disappointed in the build quality of this shoe. If anyone wants, I'll post the photo evidence.

8. AriGold

AriGold Distinguished Member

my first shell aldens... to topy or not to topy??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior Member

^^ Can't help with you any topy advice. Just wanted to say those are sweet! Is that......the plaza last?

10. AriGold

AriGold Distinguished Member

It's actually from brooks brothers... so it is the snap last. Very similar to the Hampton last but slightly less pointy at the tip

11. Roguls

Roguls Distinguished Member

Excellent choice. I would forgo the topy.

Also, above, it shows Alden making a balmoral boot. I wish they were more adventurous in their building these days (double monks? bal boots? Anyone?).

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

Lots of pros with sole guards since they greatly extend the life of soles, avoid slippage, and can easily replaced.

I personally only have a couple of shoes that use sole guards since my preference is leather soles. Rubber soled shoes have their place. My preference are calf shoes though when I have sole guards since I typically wear them on days with moderate chance of rain.

Sole guard or not the shoes are great!

13. blue collar

blue collar Distinguished Member

:rotflmao:

14. Soylent Green

Welcome! The fact that you live in So. Cal. is an important consideration. For instance, here in Boston I only wear loafers in the summer - but boy do I wear them all summer long. So I'm with you in regard to loafers. If I lived in So. Cal, I'd probably never take my unlined Brooks Brothers LHS off, except to put on my new ravello LHS. If you were to supplement your loafer collection, maybe a pair of Crockett and Jones Harvard loafers or a pair of John Lobb Lopez loafers. Then again, maybe I'm just projecting my own wants here.

Anyway, I think a whiskey chukka would be better than the Indy. If you don't like the chukka, go with a whiskey PTB. Both of these options also work in ravello for So. Cal., too.

Personally, I don't understand the Indy boot thing. Don't get me wrong, I think the Indy is a nice looking boot. But in every circumstance I can think of, I would prefer an alternative. In the city, I would rather wear a cordovan chukka. If I'm not in the city - if I really need a boot - then I'm going to go with the much less expensive Vasque Sundowner, the classic hiking boot with goretex waterproofing. Admittedly, the Vasque Sundowner is not the prettiest boot out there, and sometimes I don't want a boot with a gore-tex liner, which affects breathability. In such instances, I jettison the Vasque Sundowner and go with the Limmer Lightweights or the Limmer Midweights. Both of those cost less than the Indy, and they are much more boot for the money. If I had more money to spend, I would get a hiking boot made for me from the merrellfootlab.com.
    http://www.merrellfootlab.com/gallery.htm

15. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.