1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I would like to score the Ravello PTBs from Anatomica before I surrender to the onslaught of rising shell prices.

2. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Hey Mr. C., did you have those J.Crew #8 captoes recrafted or resoled? Can't tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like the welt/sole edging is lighter than the black that mine have. The lighter or antique edging would have been my preference. Great collection!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. 33peace

33peace Member

I wish I could try this size on. I have the Indy 403 in an 8.5D. With Smartwool Light Crew socks, the 8.5 fit easily. Not snug at all but not slipping out of them.

I also wear an 8.5 In Red Wings Iron Rangers as another shoe fit. Is there any reason to think the Cordovan 8D would fit? IF so I am very interested, I prefer the double leather over the commando sole so these would be perfect.

4. mothball

mothball Senior member

Thanks, George! For anyone else interested, I treated mine with Montana Pitch Blend, which I love for CXL. It darkened the chamois quite a bit & seems to have made the boots into dust magnets, so it was probably not the best choice for this leather. Thank you for the post.

5. Burra

Burra Active Member

Would love to work this out as well.

I have 9EE Indys, and noone ever has EE, only Ds. I would love to be able to order Ds that fit, to save a lot of waiting time.

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

How are you finding that the Hampton fit? True Size + 1 width? or no?

I have been eyeing the Perf Cap Toe Bal in back and #8 to wear with a suits. The only problem is that I don't wear suits anymore. But I may again one day soon.

7. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

This is a bad thing? Alden pricing is basically inversely proportional to their quality control for like the last few years imo.

8. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

exactly.

9. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

yup had the edge and welt redone and B nelson with commando sole. i'm surprised that noone has done a perf cap toe boot in #8 with antique edge

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks. That explains it. If one doesn't need the #8 boot to be dressy, the more casual look of an antique edge with the #8 (or cigar for that matter), makes for an awesome looking combination. Good choice on going with that.

11. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

thank you! that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a straight cap on grant last and double leather sole to have something on the dressier side.

12. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

a great new make up from the bureau. I prefer the dover pattern but this pretty much of the best everyday shoes i've seen from Alden.

[​IMG]

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    two wonderful additions to your wardrobe, wearing in good health, remember the break in method

14. jimney

jimney Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I just got my Epaulet Natural Brixtons about a week ago, and I wore them out one day last week. I'm thinking I want to get some sort of rubber sole protection for winter - is it too late now since I wore them out? Is there a decent place in Chicago I can get this done?

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

get well soon, spring training starts in february

16. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

No, you can still get a Topy put on. If you can't find a place in Chicago, B. Nelson will be able to do it.

17. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

If you want to have rubber soles like vibram Topys installed, it's actually better to have some wear on the sole as it allows the sole to adhere better.

Gus Shoe Repair on the North Side of Chicago does a good job with rubber soles.

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    wear in good health your gunboats

19. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Brooks Shoe Service. They're at 29 E Madison. Head up the elevator to the sixth floor, take a left, and they're at the end of the hall. It'll be $35 for a Topy. They always quote a week or more for turnaround, and have always taken less (for me, at least).

20. poena

poena Senior member

how has jcrew been as far as exchanges go on aldens? I ordered the #8 captoe boot and wanted to try going up half a size but I used a coupon with the shoes. will I be able to do a straight exchange or will I lose the discount?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.